PDA

View Full Version : Disassembly of accustock?

Pages : [1] 2

TomKat
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
I have owned several Savage rifles have removed their stocks many times.

I recently bought a Model 11 FHNS in 22-250
I am having problems getting the stock and the action apart.

I have removed all three screws and the bolt. I cant get them
Apart.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
PS I own a FAT torque wrench and am aware of torquing requirements of the accustock. My issue is getting the stock apart!

missed
01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
I know when I pulled mine the first time the recoil lug was petty tight in the stock.

What's the torque on those stock bolts?

Thanks!

TomKat
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
So no one has ever taken one apart?

Am I the only one to ever have this question/problem?

Looking for some help guys

barthowes
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
just took mine off for the first time. Once all 3 screws were out and in my hand it came apart without a problem. sorry

J.Baker
01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Some tend to have a bit of a pinch fit and can stick a little. The one I got for review was that way and I had to use a little umph to get them apart.

missed
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
When I pulled mine apart it just took a couple wiggles and it was free.

TomKat
01-15-2013, 02:01 PM
thanks, I guess I just need to really pull on it. Didnt want to break a brand new gun!!

TomKat
01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
STILL not doing well....who invented this accustock anyway???

missed
01-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Huh I never would have thought it would have been bound up stuck like that. Have you tried tapping it free with a mallet?

TomKat
01-16-2013, 06:22 PM
NO

QUESTION: Do you have to have the bolt in for it to come apart? I have had the bolt out all this time...

missed
01-16-2013, 06:42 PM
The book says bolt should be in and closed. I have done it both ways

J.Baker
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Whether the bolt is in or not would make no difference. Silly question, but you DID fully loosen the screw for the AccuWedge that clamps down onto the recoil lug, right? This would be the forward most of the 4 screws on the bottom of the stock (rear trigger guard screw, rear action screw, front action screw, and AccuWedge screw). If that screw is still tight the action isn't going to come out of the stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N49uIIRnA3w

TomKat
01-16-2013, 10:38 PM
I dont think I did. I have 3 screws out. One behind the trigger guard, one underthe hinged floor plate, and one in front of that. Where is #4?

J.Baker
01-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Is your bolt release lever in front of the trigger guard? If so, there's a screw under that button. Push it rearward and you'll see it.

TomKat
01-16-2013, 11:30 PM
THAT is what I needed to know

missed
01-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Ah that's it my 10 is a three screw gun

J.Baker
01-17-2013, 12:00 AM
All AccuStock guns are 4 screw. The rear-most screw just goes into the stock to secure the rear of the trigger guard (doesn't ever need to be removed unless you're removing the trigger guard. The middle two screws are the action screws and go through the bottom metal on DBM and HFP models. The forward-most screw is the screw for the Accuwedge that draws down on the recoil lug.

thomae
01-17-2013, 12:06 AM
All AccuStock guns are 4 screw. The rear-most screw just goes into the stock to secure the rear of the trigger guard (doesn't ever need to be removed unless you're removing the trigger guard. The middle two screws are the action screws and go through the bottom metal on DBM and HFP models. The forward-most screw is the screw for the Accuwedge that draws down on the recoil lug.At some point, Savage did away with the wedge. I have a 2011 Model 10 FCM with the accustock. It has three screws. Two action screws and the rearmost trigger guard screw.

J.Baker
01-17-2013, 09:37 AM
At some point, Savage did away with the wedge. I have a 2011 Model 10 FCM with the accustock. It has three screws. Two action screws and the rearmost trigger guard screw.

Thanks Thomae, I wasn't aware of that. The last AccuStock I reviewed was a first year (2009) model. Makes sense though as most every in-depth review I read where they tried shooting without the Accuwedge in place saw no difference in accuracy, and in some cases the accuracy improved with the Accuwedge screw out.

Guess that makes the 4-screw models collectable 1 or 2-year wonders. Clearly they'll be worth several hundred pennies more than their 3-screw brethren in the future due to their rarity. LOL

TomKat
01-17-2013, 12:11 PM
VICTORY!!!

That last screw was hidden under the floor plate release lever. I am glad I didn't REALLY pull on it.

My thanks to everyone who contributed here. Just think, some day there will be a guy on the internet looking for help and when he searches he will find this thread and his life will be a little easyier. GOOD JOB!!!

And now, I will be shipping that brand new AccuStock off to be dipped......in a snakeskin pattern. :(:(:(:crazy::crazy::crazy:

After that It will get a proper break in (what ever that means to everyone) and will be one of my main coyote hunting rifles. It is taking the place of a 2006 Model 200 Stevens in .22-250 that killed many a coyote. I had such great luck with the Stevens I thought I deserved an upgrade.