PDA

View Full Version : questions on modding an Accu-Stock...

Detritus
01-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Puting this here instead of the aftermarket stock section since my questions relate to the Factory stock, instead of aftermarket only.

Have a couple of questions that i posted at the tail end of a previous thread, but i figured i'd start a new one since the questions didn't exactly fit the first thread all that well.

Bought my wife a 12FCV in .223 as a combo birthday/christmas present early last month. As it turns out, as it comes from the factory, the stock is too long for her by about 1/2-3/4". which leads me to ask the following...

Has anyone ever cut down the length of pull on their accustock, esp. cut it down past the point where (i assume) the factory screwholes end and had to put some sort of filler or block in there for the pad to mount to? I've dealt somewhat with fitting a recoil pad, but i've not yet deallt with trimming and fitting for/to a sythetic stock
related to the above, I unscrewed the factory pad and it looks likethe Depth of the "socket" area between the back edge of the stock and the seat/shoulder the pad snugs up to (the screwholes basicly) is about how much would need to be removed to bring the stock's length of pull into line with what my wife needs. is there a known aftermarket pad that is a close fit/shape for the factory stock with that area cut/ground/sanded off?
If I decide to switch/upgrade stocks, am I going to have to have the recoil lug replaced with a standard unit? Does an after-market stock absolutely require that the rifle have a "Standard" size lug or can I get away at least for a time with the A-S style lug?

As always thank you for your time and any info you choose to share.

J.Baker
01-14-2013, 02:30 AM
To answer your questions...

1. You would definitely need to either fill in the butt of the stock completely or at the very least epoxy some blocks into it so the pad will have something to mount to once you've trimmed it down.
2. No direct fit aftermarket pads for the synthetic stocks so you'll need to get a grind-to-fit pad.
3. The stock recoil lug will work fine with an aftermarket stock

The other option would be to get a factory wood stock which would be much, much easier to cut down and re-pad. For that matter you could get one from a Youth model which already has a shorter LOP.

Detritus
01-14-2013, 03:22 AM
To answer your questions...

1. You would definitely need to either fill in the butt of the stock completely or at the very least epoxy some blocks into it so the pad will have something to mount to once you've trimmed it down.
2. No direct fit aftermarket pads for the synthetic stocks so you'll need to get a grind-to-fit pad.
3. The stock recoil lug will work fine with an aftermarket stock

The other option would be to get a factory wood stock which would be much, much easier to cut down and re-pad. For that matter you could get one from a Youth model which already has a shorter LOP.

thanks for the info/reply. that helps quite a bit.

Also just noticed that I forgot to edit question #1 before posting. At the time i originally wrote the question (both questions #1 and what became #3, are cut & pasted from another thread), I was thinking that the molded-in screwholes were at/went to the very end of the stock. But it turns out as noted in question #2 that they're recessed into the stock about 1/2". And that roughly corresponds to the amount of stock length Trish and I feel needs to be removed. so really it kind of looks like i wouldn't need to worry about cutting down the stock past the screw holes.

What i am thinking is the most likely course of action in the short term, if we don't decide to suck it up and buy an after market stock with custom LOP, with this year's tax return, will be for me to trim the stock back almost (or fully) flush to the face of the existing screwholes, and fit a grind-to-fit pad with appropriate screw spacing.
Mid- to Long- term the plan is to purchase a SSS, Stockade, or similar stock with custom LOP (the Sharpshooter LVT and Stockade Prairie Dog Special are in the lead as far as that goes). really only thinking about trimming the LOP on the Accustock because we can't yet afford to pony up for one of the aftermarket units we like.

As far as factory wood stocks, I'll keep them in mind but unless I came across something like a take-off VLP stock for for a price too low to pass up, i'd be more likely save for the semi-custom stock.

again thank you for the info.

Joe L
01-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Have you considered taking a 1/2-3/4" vertical cut section out of the stock, maybe 1.5 inches in from the butt plate, far enough in so that you can use the butt plate geometry as is? You would have a mismatch at the bottom edge that would have to be smoothed out and you would need to put a couple of short dowels in length-wise to make the strength, but just two cuts, drill for dowels, lots of epoxy, mate it all back together and smooth the edges?

Joe

ellobo
01-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Here I go again. Boyds, Boyds, Boyds. Excellent stocks, drop in type, laminate under $100. You can get it checkered for an extra $50. 3 styles available. Have someone with a bandsaw cut off the excess and screw on your buttpad. Just make sure he cuts it flush and true.

El Lobo