PDA

View Full Version : Another great load for my .223 !

Pages : [1] 2

zap
01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
I went to the range on Friday to test some Berger 52 gr match bullets out. Lapua Brass, br4 primers, N133 powder. All were with about .050 jump.

I shot a total of 5 different loads starting at 22.0 gr and going up to 24.0 gr. Weather was 41 degrees with on / off drizzle and a slight breeze.

The consistency of the groups is what really amazed me ! They only group that was a little different was the 2nd group I fired ( 22.5 gr of N133 ). I will exclude that group, ( although it measured around .476 ).

The other (4)- 4 shot groups averaged .297 !

I have shot many different loads through this rifle and around 2000 rounds , and have never had this kind of consistency with .5 grain increments like this.

Needless to say I am very pleased :) No pressure signs at 24.0 in my rifle. I tried to post a pic below .

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/weezul98/IMG_3646_zps879534c2.jpg

acemisser
01-13-2013, 12:19 PM
out standing accuracy..what kind of rifle and what twist is that...Looks like it might be a left hand twist...possible what distance is it..

I wish mine shot that good...Once again that is some fantastic shooting..

thomae
01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Looks like it might be a left hand twist...I am pondering your statement wondering, "What does Sherlock Holmes see that I don't?" Would you please educate me? I am asking a serious question, not being sarcastic at all. Thanks.

zap
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Ace,
this is a model bvss (heavy barrel) varmint contour, 9 twist as most savage .223's are. All at 100 yards.

My awesome wife (with help from a friend of mine) got me a nightforce NXS 12-42 scope for x-mas, which I mounted before the range shooting. I do think the extra power helped me a little also. Thanks for the complements.

earl39
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
I am pondering your statement wondering, "What does Sherlock Holmes see that I don't?" Would you please educate me? I am asking a serious question, not being sarcastic at all. Thanks.

+2
i would like to know how to tell twist direction from a picture of the target also.

Dennis
01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Berger 52 gr match bullets

Berger 52 grain bullets have always shoot good out of my rifle, which is the same as yours.

kelbro
01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Nice job. It's really good when you have days like that. Repeating them are great!

Wife got me an NSX 12-42 also. Shot it today with some 77gr SMKs. Good groups at 200 yds.

Looks like a RH twist to me.

acemisser
01-14-2013, 08:24 AM
I am pondering your statement wondering, "What does Sherlock Holmes see that I don't?" Would you please educate me? I am asking a serious question, not being sarcastic at all. Thanks.

you mean you can''t tell? with a slight breeze the bullet will strike to the right and with a right hand twist it would be to the left due to the tourqe of the rifle when he shoots...

acemisser
01-14-2013, 08:32 AM
+2
i would like to know how to tell twist direction from a picture of the target also.

A left hand twist will make the rifle tourque to the right causing the bullet to hit right..And the other
way with a right hand twist..Why do you think so many bench shooters use the front rest with
an almost vice like feture to stop the rifle from canting.....Come on you guys know this stuff..
Haven't you ever gone to matchs and watch and learn or read Harry Pope and other...

Stockrex
01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
A left hand twist will make the rifle tourque to the right causing the bullet to hit right..And the other
way with a right hand twist..Why do you think so many bench shooters use the front rest with
an almost vice like feture to stop the rifle from canting.....Come on you guys know this stuff..
Haven't you ever gone to matchs and watch and learn or read Harry Pope and other...

I am still lost how you can tell the twist from POI, you could tell from the path of vapour trail or sonic disturbance. Sorry, my 40 credit hours of college physics is failing me here.

Predator1
01-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I have found N133 to be a superb in the 223 as well. And what you are experiencing with the consistencey is normal with this powder. Nice shootin!!!

thomae
01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
So are you suggesting that because the groups are off center to the right of apparent vertical from the target dots that it is a left handed twist barrel?
There is certainly a possiblity that you could be right, but on the other hand, remember that correlation does not imply causation. Many other factors could also cause that group placement.
I am still waiting for the OP to answer your question.
:cool:

acemisser
01-14-2013, 10:02 PM
I am not saying for sure.but I have seen it happen at the 1000 yard shoots..It works basicly the same as shooting a rifle canted..If your standing in front of the rifle looking at the barrel with a left hand twist try to picture the bullet coming out of the bore in a counter clockwise direction..It will be going to the left or if your behind the action it goes to your riglt..So a slight breeze is going to move it up a little and more right...That is why some shooters who shoot at the same place most often will watch the wind and determin which twist they want the barrel....You got it now ? lol If Rick Jameson was here he would tell you I am right..I may just not be able to explain it with the proper termology as some...After all ,,,,all I gots is a 6 grade education and flunked out of brain surgeon school 3 times so I be came a dozer and dump truck operator..

Apache
01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I think he's referring to the coriolis effect.....I think?

acemisser
01-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I think he's referring to the coriolis effect.....I think?

no because that is caused by the earths rotation which is in a clockwise direction...lol

what difference does it really make anyway....who cares as long as you can hit the target;;lol

darkker
01-14-2013, 11:35 PM
no because that is caused by the earths rotation which is in a clockwise direction...lol

what difference does it really make anyway....who cares as long as you can hit the target;;lol

"Clockwise" "caused by the earths rotation"??!!
I don't know that I would use the term "caused by", as an accurate description of what is happening. It is the perception of the bullet drifting off target, because the earth is rotating and the bullet is no longer "connected" to it. So the earth spins "away from" where you think the bullet "should" be going.
As for the "clockwise" statement. Remember that the "drifting to the right" is only true when you are in the northern hemisphere. Remember that more than the toilets work the other way in the south my friend.

Don't know who Rick Jameson is, but the direction of someones twist isn't why shooters watch the wind...:confused:

Less forum "reading", more shooting and Books!!

earl39
01-15-2013, 12:21 AM
" Remember that the "drifting to the right" is only true when you are in the northern hemisphere. Remember that more than the toilets work the other way in the south my friend.

you also have to remember that you only drift to the right if you are shooting to the north. Shoot from north to south and the drift will be to your left. It is more accurate to say drift to the east when shooting north or south.

i think i have it backwards. the bullet would be hitting west of point of aim with just the coriolis effect and nothing else affecting the bullet.

zap
01-15-2013, 08:03 AM
My groups were impacting slightly to the right because that is where it was sighted in at. I had just mounted the scope before that range session.

thermaler
01-15-2013, 08:35 AM
The old coriolus effect--I love the way arguments spin out of control over this one. : )

acemisser
01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
but the direction of someones twist isn't why shooters watch the wind

I have no idea where you got that from......If you are shooting at a range on a regular bases you learn which direction the wind comes from MOST OF THE time...Then you can base you direction of twist accordingly....

It is diffucult to ???)@$%)&YTE#$^^ 'es