PDA

View Full Version : Another great load for my .223 !

Pages : 1 [2]

darkker
01-16-2013, 01:17 AM
but the direction of someones twist isn't why shooters watch the wind

I have no idea where you got that from......If you are shooting at a range on a regular bases you learn which direction the wind comes from MOST OF THE time...Then you can base you direction of twist accordingly....

It is diffucult to ???)@$%)&YTE#$^^ 'es

...What?

Are you proposing that people watch the wind, not to make corrections in the scope; but rather to know whether or not to custom order a left-hand twist barrel??

acemisser
01-16-2013, 07:13 AM
I have no idea what you said...None what so ever...

bigedp51
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Zap

Good shooting and reloading your .223, I wish I could shoot more dime sized groups.

Just try and remember this, if you shoot north toward Canada and are aiming at Toronto, due to your right hand twist and the rotation of the earth your bullet will most likely hit Montreal. But the circular error of probability includes Ottawa to Sherbrooke depending on the jet stream and bullet icing.

There is nothing wrong with your rifle............
We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical......................
We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your rifle............
You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to..................The Outer Limits. (of what acemisser said)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/outerlimits-2.jpg

This message was brought to you by the "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Forum Posters"

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/typingdeath.gif

thermaler
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't forget the effects of contrails and cloud-seeding. : )

PS--since the rotation, velocity and flight path of objects in my toilet are of extreme importance to me--I looked that up and apparently that's an urban myth--the coriolus effect DOES NOT cause different rotational forces in a toilet depending upon whether you are in the northern or southern hemispheres.

darkker
01-20-2013, 02:00 PM
PS--since the rotation, velocity and flight path of objects in my toilet are of extreme importance to me--I looked that up and apparently that's an urban myth--the coriolus effect DOES NOT cause different rotational forces in a toilet depending upon whether you are in the northern or southern hemispheres.

Wasn't a reference to the coriolus effect in the toilet.... But if throne ballistics interests you.. I personally know that when you are taking a shyte or a bath in Sydney, Cairns, or the Gold Coast; the spin is nowhere near as pronouced, but IS opposite of the direction here in Washington.

308law
01-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Wow this is the worst case of thread hijacking I think I've seen yet, Its only January and cabin fever is rampant, LOL

Hosted
01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm confused, but wanted to say great shooting. I think I use the same dots for my targets!

acemisser
01-29-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm confused, but wanted to say great shooting. I think I use the same dots for my targets! yeah I can see your corn fused.Most people are when they have no idea what is going on.Like on this site.You can't tell some anything with out being corn fused about what it was that was being said and no said yet,,How this clears it up for you..

Boomer58cal
02-18-2013, 12:31 AM
I think he's referring to the coriolis effect.....I think?

You are correct sir.

davemuzz
02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
So....wait just a minuet.....I've just read this entire post for the first time....and if I read this correctly.....in order to make my rifle more accurate, I have to now buy a toilet and bring it to the range and use it as a rest for my rifle, (I could sit on it on certain days....but I'm not going there) as this has something to do with the Coriolis effect.....then watch other shooters watch the wind......then switch to Vhitavorui powders....AND THEN be concerned that the world will still rotate after I'm done shooting?

Right?

Dave

tiny68
02-18-2013, 08:16 PM
First, I don't see the trend that Ace is seeing, but I understand what he is talking about. Below is a page I snapped a photo from in Tony Boyer book - The Book of Rifle Accuracy. This is on page 281 were Tony is describing the influence of the wind on bullets. The figure shown is a standard right hand twist. With from 9:00 wind, it pushes the bullets to the right and down. The down is from the rotation of the bullet. If the barrel was a left hand twist, it would push the bullets right and up.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/tiny68_photos/1-Boyerp281_zps887bcce7.jpg

This is a good read if you want to learn something about rifle accuracy and how to get the absolute best from your rifle. If you don't know who Tony Boyer is, look up the Benchrest Hall of Fame and see who sets way way at the top of the list.

If you had a predominant wind blowing one direction on your range, you might want to choose a particular twist. I haven't convinced myself completely, but I am thinking about.....

Luck to all,

Tiny

wbm
02-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Great set of groups Zap. Thanks for posting the targets.

Shazaaam! It just dawned on me. I think my next barrel will be a non-taper bull barrel that I will have threaded on both ends. So if the wind switches so that it favors a particular twist I can take the barrel off and reverse it. That way I can have a right hand and left hand twist on the same rifle! Bet even Tony Boyer never thought of that.

davemuzz
02-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Great set of groups Zap. Thanks for posting the targets.

Shazaaam! It just dawned on me. I think my next barrel will be a non-taper bull barrel that I will have threaded on both ends. So if the wind switches so that it favors a particular twist I can take the barrel off and reverse it. That way I can have a right hand and left hand twist on the same rifle! Bet even Tony Boyer never thought of that.

Well yeah......but what do you do with a toilet that won't reverse like that???

wbm
02-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Duh?! Come on Dave you know all that stuff. Turn it upside down!

davemuzz
02-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Duh?! Come on Dave you know all that stuff. Turn it upside down!

Oh! Yeah. But don't forget your rubber gloves...and your http://www.clorox.com/img/products/bathroom/hero_product.png

wbm
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
and your....Mickey Mouse ears, galoshes and rubber spatula?

davemuzz
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
and your....Mickey Mouse ears, galoshes and rubber spatula?

Have you been spying on me??

Big Old Boy
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Dave I think you have it,I think.

thomae
02-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Dave, I'll offer a slightly better suggestion: Rifle your barrel in a crosshatch design with an equal number of grooves going clockwise as counterclockwise. Then, depending on the prevailing winds, you can pick whether you shoot each shot with a right twist or a left twist (since you will have both sets of rifling) spin on the bullet, and you don't even have to swap the barrel around end for end! Dang! Finally all my edumacation paid off with this brilliant idea!

davemuzz
02-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Rifle your barrel in a crosshatch design with an equal number of grooves going clockwise as counterclockwise. ... Dang! Finally all my edumacation paid off with this brilliant idea!

OH!!!....Now I see what the rubber spatula is for!!!