PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk case lubes

Pages : 1 [2]

thomae
01-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Bigedp51: I will admit that I did not know if you were being serious. Stranger things have been known work well for some people.
I replied not in anger, but to clarify something that I believe to be true, but was hoping to get confirmation (or denial) from someone with firsthand knowledge.

I'll let you in on a secret. I'm really a nice guy. (But don't tell anyone; you will ruin my reputation!)

Anyway, I am happy to hear that your hands are udderly soft and not chapped. Keep up the good work!
Now, lets Mooooove along back to topic.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Any lube that keeps the case from sticking in the dies is OK if that's what you choose. Thinners or any cleaner that will remove the excess is in order. And make sure you get it out of the "inside" of the case. Whatever works best "for you" is good.

Dennis
01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
You guys must be using a huge amount to have to use a cleaner

I agree, if the wax is on the outside, you can use a moist rag with solvent or soap and it wipes right off. I use this method when I have to clean brass wax off the brass that I am reloading for a second shot.

I guess I was main referring to my neck sizing and getting oil/wax inside the case. It makes the job easier and the results are perfect. You just have to remove the oil/wax front the inside of the brass, entirely.

This is where hot water and soap come in or a little thinner. Personally I know thinner will get the inside absolutely clean with very easy effort. Ultrasonic cleaners would be my second choice, with hot water and soap being the third.

Not long ago I resized 150 pieces of brass and somehow left a litte lube inside the cases. This will kill your primer, plus your powder load is not going in. This is due to the oil balling up the walnut. Ever since then I have been anal about cleaning the inside of my brass.

I had a few unexplained flyers and I know the oil and walnut was the cause. It's never happened again. I also had 3 no-fires. When I removed the bullet and contents, the evidence was there including the oil soaked primers.

I know I am lengthly on my post, but I know exceesive lube cost me maybe two matches.

Bottom Line: A wax based case lube applied sparingly IMO is the best. Removing any excess is the second key.

Many people use a Q Tip to lube the inside of their necks when sizing. Some state they use a clean Q Tip to get the excess out.

Any opinions are welcome.

Anything is better than a STUCK case.

acemisser
01-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I posted my info as a joke acemisser, Bag Balm contains Vaseline and is petroleum base. I deleted my posting because you prove some people are gullible or you have a even drier sense of humor than I have. How about deleting your post like I did, we are both on a slippery slope of bad humor here. thomae is being polite above, but if he gets angry he might shoot us both with a dull bullet, have us both drawn and quartered and then smear us with a petroleum base product and light us on fire.

P.S. Be quick, thomae only lives a short distance from me, hurry up and delete your posting.

I know that.But this stuff does work..Your not suppose to get it inside the case..Like I said,all you need is a little dab of it on your fingures like the imperial sizing wax...In fact one should not lube above the shoulder as you can dent the cases this way. If you think it should be deleted then do so..I will not be upset over it...John PS I knew one guy that really truely used a dab of STP for case lube..The bigest thing with any of the lube is that every once in awhile the die should be cleaned out good...Spray carb. cleaner works good for this...

zap
01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
I have been using the imperial for six years now. Works great and a little goes a looooooong way. My tin looks like it has never been used.

n4ue
01-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi. Being an old timer, my first case lube was the RSBS (with a pad) stuff in a tube that is like STP. Gosh, was a mess.
Fast forward 40 years. Like most replys above, I love the Imperial. Also, you need so little, it's almost scary.
Two others I like are: Dillon's spray lube (which I believe is Lanolin/Alcohol) and Lee's 'white wax' in a tube.
I also like Imperial's little jar of ceramic beads for neck sizing.....

ron

Dennis
01-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Imperial Wax: How do you apply the was to the brass? Do you use a lube pad or just roll the brass between your hands?

geargrinder
01-14-2013, 12:19 AM
I wipe my finger across the tin of Imperial. Rub my finger and thumb together. Then roll the brass between my finger and thumb from the neck down to the case head.

Apache
01-14-2013, 12:23 AM
+1

It takes VERY VERY little to do the job.