PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Dad's Mod 5

BillPa
01-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Years before he passed away Dad, for what ever reason, he thought his old 5 needed re-blued. Why I was never sure. The 'smith I was working with at time wasn't bluing much due to health reasons so Dad dropped off the barreled action at a local shop and they sent it somewhere. To make a long story short Dad never put back together. When I got it some parts were missing and the magazine guide broken.

One of my goals today is to pass on family firearms to my grandchildren, so I thought I'd get the old 5 back in shape for another Grandson. It will never be "original", but at least it will be one of Great Grand Paw's guns.

After some work its about finished.
http://i46.tinypic.com/30tqkc3.jpg

I had to grind-fit a new butt plate, make a new assembly screw/escutcheon and silver soldered the broken mag guide. I disassembled/cleaned the bolt and trigger and straightened the slightly bowed mag tube. ( Other than that it was in great shape! :eagerness:)

Since the stock was stripped I applied six coats of True Oil applied in thin coats with my fingers rubbed between each coat. Amazingly after all the years of use I only had to raise one small dent, otherwise it was in good shape.

I found a trigger guard, it should be here in a few days then all that is left is test firing and see if it will feed and cycle after my handy work on the mag guide.

Dad had an old Weaver 3/4" scope with a side mount on it, both are long gone. My question? Do I replace the mount with a period Weaver or just drill/tap it and put a 1" rings/scope on it? Seeing it will never be original again and not a high value rifle I should ??????

My next "hand me down" project? A Lefever double.

Bill

Mad Dog
01-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Bill, is there 4 holes or 2 holes drilled for the side mount?

Also, does the mag guide work alright? I've got a couple Savage rimfire guides here but not sure what they fit, might have one that will work in that gun.

Oops, sorry, they're for a model 4 not a 5.

BillPa
01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
There are two holes drill/tapped for the mount.

I just got a reply from Outback. Wendell has mag guides, so if my expert soldering job isn't I'll grab one from him. It looks like it should work, but you know old Murphy.....

Bill

Mad Dog
01-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Is it tapped for a peep sight on the other side as well?

BillPa
01-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Is it tapped for a peep sight on the other side as well?

Correction....yes, its drilled for a peep.

Mad Dog
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Ahha, thats what I figured.

Probably 7/8" center to center correct?

Should take a Savage #150 peep sight, they're not real hard to find, alot of guys think they're Winchester sights because they're stamped 150 WFC on the sight but they're actually for your model of rifle. Usually find them on Ebay.

22BVGord
01-13-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm looking at sights for my Model 3B. Apparently a Weaver #2 base (part 48402) and a Weaver Side Mount with 1" rings (part 49350) are supposed to fit on the Model 5 and probably other models of this vintage. The dealer had the ring mount (C$31) but did not have the base in stock (on order) so can't yet verify a fit. Mine has two holes - 2 3/8" on center - for the base mount and also a notched out spot at the very end of the breech for a peep sight (one hole). Apparently a Lyman 55 peep sight was used, but the dealer says he doubts these are available any longer.

BillPa
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
If you haven't already try ....

OUT BACK GUN PARTS, INC.
2110 McLean Avenue
New Albany, IN 47150
www.outbackgunparts.com

They had the trigger guard/screws I needed and have the mag guide if my repair job doesn't work out. They may have the sights you need too.

Bill

Mad Dog
01-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Gord, your model 3 was tapped for a Weaver T mount, they don't make them anymore but you can find them on Ebay.

The one hole is for a model 3S peep, if I get time in the morning I'll take a pic of the one on my model 7S so you'll know what to look for.

I have one on mine and I was sighting it in on Friday and the **** gun went full auto on me, gotta figure out what went wrong yet.

Mad Dog
01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
This is the Savage Stevens 105 peep your looking for.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8bOiLfsys3rS7QovqlH8zhiYof8CPw 5M4fBY85q8_iIHH8-J5g9i_2js3

22BVGord
01-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for pic of the peep. Yes, I can see it working on my 3B and mine does have the stock cut-out like your 7. My 3B seems to have some of the characteristics of an S and/or ST model. Hard to tell if the peep cut out is factory or if it was done along the way.

Mad Dog
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
If the hole is there for the 105 then the stock was cut out at the factory.