PDA

View Full Version : Thinking hard of getting the 10 fcp #18139

Szumi
01-11-2013, 05:14 PM
I was looking again at a 10 FCP in .308 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43532). Not the prettiest rifle but I want one that I can use to pursue long range marksmanship.

One thing that seemed strange to me is it looks like there is a spring washer between the bolt head and bolt body. I've never seen that before. Is that some sort of a manufacturing cost savings? How does it hold up?

I'm not totally clear on the 110 / 10 thing. Is the 110 a long action?

Bipod. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Szumi

Willoughby
01-11-2013, 05:46 PM
10 -11-12- 16 = short action
110 -11-114-116= long action
fcp great gun -decent stock
but id buy a used Savage -Stevens & replace trigger, stock & barrel for about same price as the fcp
or -less if was a accutrigger model- no need to replaced the trigger..
then YOU can choose the components...
just depends on what you want & what your able to do.......
lot of nice folks here willing to help with any build questions .
that said -- the FCP is a real nice rifle -allready built....
but so is the Hog Hunter http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?15691-Savage-Hog-Hunters-410
just my 2cents..

Kill N Grill
01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Looks pretty good to me. Dress it up with a nice scope and a bi pod and if you like a paint job. I am sure it will be an envied rifle at the rang. Besises I have not had a complaint from any animal that has had some lead thru the vitals complain about the looks of my savage rifles.

I think on the Savage web sight Savagearms.com there is a break down of the bolt assy. Also a search here or you tube will get you a video on how to take it apart. You will probably want to change your bolt handle. There are some really nice ones out there for under $50

pitsnipe
01-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I have an FLCP-K in .308 practicly the same gun but your might have the better stock in the H.S Precision. That "spring washer" to my understanding allows the bolt head to "float" giving our Savages such excellent out of the box accuracy.

And for a bipod go Harris. With what yer spendin on that stick another $110 or so aint nothin. And in my opinion you cant beat the quality for the cost.

mrrabk
01-11-2013, 06:10 PM
I just picked one up and love it. You won't be disappointed.

Willoughby
01-11-2013, 06:11 PM
for a break down of the bolt assy
& other neet need to know Savage stuff
at top of every page
in the dark blue bar
is FAQ

thomae
01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
I was looking again at a 10 FCP in .308 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43532). Not the prettiest rifle but I want one that I can use to pursue long range marksmanship.

One thing that seemed strange to me is it looks like there is a spring washer between the bolt head and bolt body. I've never seen that before. Is that some sort of a manufacturing cost savings? How does it hold up?

I'm not totally clear on the 110 / 10 thing. Is the 110 a long action?

Bipod. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Szumi
You want pretty or you want accurate? To me, accurate = pretty. But that's just my opinion. (And I tend to like my rifles "pretty accurate." )

As to the spring washer, it's part of the "floating bolthead" system. The first time you take apart your bolt, however, do yourself a favor and move the washer from the rear of the front baffle to the front of the front baffle (in between the front baffle and the bolt head). This will keep any grease on the rear of the bolthead lug surfaces from being cleaned off by the front baffle wings each time you cycle the bolt. It will not adversely affect the functioning of the firing system in any way that I know.

Savage has been using the spring washer for years. It's different than what other manufacturers do, but I have never heard of one breaking.

Joe L
01-11-2013, 06:52 PM
I just picked one up and love it. You won't be disappointed.

Me, too. Picked it up Thanksgiving 2012. Not pretty. Targets, however, are beautiful.

Joe

stangfish
01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
A stevens 200 that shoots .75 moa @600 yds

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb363/stangfish/100_0659_zpsce9ef260.jpg

mattm0812
01-12-2013, 09:05 AM
A stevens 200 that shoots .75 moa @600 yds

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb363/stangfish/100_0659_zpsce9ef260.jpg

And how much was it to build without scope and bipod?

stangfish
01-12-2013, 09:56 AM
A guess would be 900. Stevens action, Savage barrel, SS bolt handle, HS Precision stock, SSS DBM(Wyatt) and bottom metal. Action, trigger bolt Gun Koted, with the majik trigger and bolt modifications. The dbm is high end, could be done with factory stuff a lot cheaper.

Szumi
01-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Well I picked up the rifle today. Now I need to buy the support bits like scope, base, bipod, brass and dies. I *thought* I had brass and dies. So much for thinking.

Szumi

jerky007
01-13-2013, 08:45 AM
You won't be disappointed. I've had mine for almost a year now and it shoots 1/2 MOA pretty easily from the factory with FGMM 175gr. I've shot .75" groups at 300 and pretty much cannot miss silhouettes out to 1k. Most seem to like the 175gr more than the 168's, but I would try both and see which works for you.

Szumi
01-13-2013, 11:56 AM
You won't be disappointed. I've had mine for almost a year now and it shoots 1/2 MOA pretty easily from the factory with FGMM 175gr. I've shot .75" groups at 300 and pretty much cannot miss silhouettes out to 1k. Most seem to like the 175gr more than the 168's, but I would try both and see which works for you.

I didn't realize how short in supply .308 ammo is. I didn't do well looking for non-hunting bullets or brass either. What is FGMM?

Thanks,

Szumi

thomae
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
What is FGMM?Federal Gold Medal Match

ODA 0121
01-13-2013, 12:42 PM
A while back I was presented a FLCP-K by Savage during a ceremony. When I've been home on leave I've probably put around 300 rounds through it. It is a very accurate rifle and although I love that fact, I just have not been able to warm up to it. So after a long time putting it off I went ahead and purchased (end of last month) for my own use a new Remington 700P LTR, LH, .308 Fluted. all I can say is...man why didn't I do this years ago! While I was still at home I looked at syn. stocks, chassis stocks, DBM, etc. on line. Just knowing anything I might want to do to it or change on it will be so easy is a great feeling on top of the fact that it bugholed groups at 200 meters on it's first outing.

The Savage is a fine rifle and I'm probably going to hang on to it but for now when I get leave I'm pretty sure the Savage will stay in the closet.

Joe L
01-13-2013, 07:24 PM
I could only find a few boxes of 308 over the last two weeks. One was 168 Barnes Vortex and the other was Federal Fusion 180 gr. The Federal was good for sub 3" groups at 300 yards, and the Vortex was only good for about 10". I've not seen that kind of spread before, but I'm new. My FCP-K loves Remington Premier Match 168 SMK. I haven't found anything better yet, from a box. It shoots Hornady Steel Match 150(?) surprisingly well also.

Joe

Szumi
01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
I could only find a few boxes of 308 over the last two weeks. One was 168 Barnes Vortex and the other was Federal Fusion 180 gr. The Federal was good for sub 3" groups at 300 yards, and the Vortex was only good for about 10". I've not seen that kind of spread before, but I'm new. My FCP-K loves Remington Premier Match 168 SMK. I haven't found anything better yet, from a box. It shoots Hornady Steel Match 150(?) surprisingly well also.

Joe

You are doing better than me. I found a box each of WW .308 180g PP at each of the two grocery stores near work. I bought that to have brass to reload. I have one box of 100 168G SMK bullets from my Garand shooting days to use in reloading. I am really hoping things settle down before winter ends.