PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 VLP DBM & a Tool/Specificationl Question

EAW
01-11-2013, 03:38 PM
This is basically a "Tool Question" and a Specifications Question. I have a Savage 12 VLP DBM, I want to remove the barreled action from the stock to do some work on the stock. My question is this... once I'm ready to put the barreled action back in, how tight to I tighten the bolts? Second question can anyone recommend a good torque wrench/meter for my gun tool collection? Also should you or should you not use lock tight on the bolts?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate the help.

ABE_EOD
01-11-2013, 08:17 PM
EAW,

As for a torque wrench the main choice that you will have to make is how much do you want to spend and how accurate do you want it to be. I use the wheeler fat wrench; but if you want to have one that is going to be the most accurate you may want to look into getting one from a company like Snap-On or MAC, they are able to be calibrated and you will be able to get the exact torque you want.

As far as part two of your post here is a thread that talks about torqueing the action screws. http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?13840-Acrion-screw-torque-matters&highlight=action+screw+torque I would not lock-tite the bolts as they should not loosen up if you tighten them to the correct torque.

stangfish
01-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Some folks say that the stock torque is not necessary. If the action bed and the action are true just good and snug. If you do decide to go that route you need a torque wrench that does inch/lb's.

EAW
01-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Appreciate the info. Found a couple torque wrenches that do inch/lbs on Amazon as well as Cabelas. After searching by brand name on Midwayusa I found some torque wrenches and other hardware. But if you didn't know the brand name (Wheeler for example) you would have a much harder time finding torque tools on Midway.

In the end I picked up a "Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench"

Even if I do not play the toque game I will be removing the everything from the stock to do some work on the stock will want to get it back into the stock at reasonable close to factory torque on the bolts.