PDA

View Full Version : Recoil lug contacts stock B4 rear of action

sparks1
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Just got my T&T'ed action back with a SSS recoil lug. When re-assembling, it seemed that the recoil lug contacted the HS Precision stock a bit early. Making the action "rock" on the recoil lug. Is this normal ? It seemed that with the factory lug that the action amd barrel set down on the stock evenly before tightening the screws. Now the recoil lug ( from SSS) contacts the stock before the rear of the action does.

Curious.

EFBell
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Relieve a little material and then bed it properly. Problem solved. if it is under the lug just etch it out a little. I have gotten in the habit of relieving the entire lug area, sides. bottom and back and bed the entire lug and front piller as one.

chestsprings
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I think it's normal, a the SSS recoil lug is a little more thicker than the factory, & a lot better..

for mine, I relieved a little of the stock where the recoil lug is, then bedded it.

sparks, your out fit looks good.

sparks1
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the compliment. One poster said the scope was too high, but i only put it on for photo purposes. The tactical Millet that normaly sets on it is on my AR for coyote hunting. It's zeroed and dead on. I did not want to remove it and then have to re-zero for hunting. Never know when one has a chance to just pick up and go out for some song dogs. Today may be one as I am home because of cold weather. -20+ degree winchill today, and it seems it's too cold to work in a bucket truck. If not hunting , I will go cut some wood for the gun range warming shack. That'll keep me warm !!!

Smokepole
01-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I have found that on my SSS lugs as well. It seems they are about .050-.075 taller. I file them down or sand them off on a vertical belt sander to stock height. I have better luck w that than I do inletting and bedding if the stock is in good shape.

chestsprings
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
don't be concerned about some one saying a "scope to high", or some other things.

if you like it, that's what matters.

we are all different, & our likes are too. what I like, some one will not, but hey!!! it's mine, so I really don't care if some one doesn't.

I went thru the, "got to have a Ruger #1" phase. got two of them. couldn't understand why any one would want a "AR" type rifle. then one of my sons got one, & I started to shoot it. the next rifle I buy is going to be a "AR" type.

I keep reading the threads on here about "AR's", some day, hopefully in 2010, I'll have one.

the gun range warming shack sounds like a good place to be today. do you have a place that you can shoot from it to , 100, 200,???? yds. now if I had some thing like that, I think I would be spending all my time in it. have fun.

sparks1
01-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Range is about 12 miles from the house. We have 100 to 200 yd rifle range (17 stations) with an additional 4 stations for 400yds. Next to it is the 300 meter range with electronic targets and heated indoor shooting. This we use for High power matches and F-class. Simulated 600 meter by using smaller bulls on targets.
By electronic targets, I mean that there are targets downrange with 3 microphones. One on the on center top and 2 on each corner of the bottom. When the bullet strikes the rubber membrane of the target the microphones triangulate sound and send signal to computer screen at the shooters side that displays impact site of bullet. All one has to do is look up to a computer screen and see where bullet impacted on target and adjust if necessary. Strings of 20 can be seen on one screen and a history of previous strings can be viewed. (Nice for the 60 shot strings for F-class !)
I believe this system comes from Norway, as we have had some software issues last summer, and the techs flew in from Norway. great system now, and it's sure nice not having to go down range to spot groups. All this for $100.00 a year and purchase of a shot card for the computerized system. Cost of a card is $100.00 per 1000shots. Computer keeps track of shots fired and will let you know if card is out of shots and you need to buy a new one.

savageboy
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Where do we see a pic of your "outfit"?

sparks1
01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Where do we see a pic of your "outfit"?

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/sparks1_bucket/Savage%2010FCP-HS%20Precision/Savage10FCPFlutedbolt002.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/sparks1_bucket/Savage%2010FCP-HS%20Precision/Savage10FCPFlutedbolt001.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/sparks1_bucket/Savage%2010FCP-HS%20Precision/Savagebolt001.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/sparks1_bucket/Savage%2010FCP-HS%20Precision/Savage10FCP-HS001.jpg

Last photo is with Millet scope

sparks1
01-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I assume these were the "outfit" you wanted to see. The other one is too small to photograph and scan. ;D ;D ;D

savageboy
01-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Awsome- Yes someone said- "your outfit looks great" and I was hoping to see it. Great set up!

chestsprings
01-08-2010, 04:28 PM
sparks1,

from the sound of the range, it's awesome.

if I had access to some thing like that, I would think I died & went to "shooters heaven".

that price is dirt cheap. around the area I live in, northern Va., some thing like that would run in the hundreds , & hundreds of dollars a yr. to belong to, if you could get in.

I think I should move to your area.

let us know how it shoots after you get every thing the way you want it.

sparks1
01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Well...if you ever get up to Minnesota get ahold of me. We'll go shootin'. I admit it is a great facility, i'm told that outside of the military and the Olympic shooting team that this is one of a kind for civilian market.

The heated 300m range is nice, but I do all my load development at the 100/200 yd range. So if the is no firewood we have no heat. I liks to bring all my reloading stuff to the range and work up loads there vs loading up some differentones and taking them with.

Easy to spend a day shooting and reloading. Some of my friends wonder why I always need powder and bullets...Hmmmm. Got enough primers tho' , scored 10k of small rifles a month ago from a guy getting out of reloading. Now if I only haad some powder!!!