PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever build a 378-based weatherby on a savage?

whiterabbit
01-11-2013, 02:49 AM
I found one article online, someone claims to have built a 338-378 weatherby on a savage. Someone in this forum was planning (or had) built a 30-378 or the like, and was planning a Gibbs based wildcat.

I am interested in a pac-nor prefit in 500 A-square.

To this end, I have acquired a 111 LRH in 338 lapua. It seems to have the challenges solved. The magazine fits 460 weatherby easy (though I'd be happier with a hinged floorplate). The bolt thrust *should* (please check my numbers here) be higher on a 338 lapua compared to a 378 weatherby. The action is a large shank, has plenty of meat. The bolt face is already about the right size.

Seems very very possible. It's a no brainer if kept to the plinker loads I have in mind. But the point of the a-square is SOMETIMES to load to 8k ft lb of ME, and not have the gun come apart.

I don't see any red flags inherently in the design concept, anyone see an issue? Most of the objections come from threads that pre-date the savage release of the 338 lapua model. I'm left wondering if this model clears up many of the concerns folks suggested. Seems to.

Anyways, thoughts? The price is right, seems like a great poor man's A-square.

NWChapman
01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
I may be out of line here, but 8k lbs ME is going to be tough on even a factory Savage .338 Lapua. The lapua produces 5k ME. If I was going the cannon route on a factory action, I'd go with a Mark V (don't shoot me guys), as it is arguably the strongest factory action out there. Downside would be the need for a smith.

Jamie
01-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Neal (358Hammer) has built a .510 Rogue (.460 Wby necked up) on a Savage action and it hasn't given him any issues in the several years he has owned it.

NWChapman
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Totally stuffed my foot in my mouth...Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .585 +/-
30/378 Weatherby, 338 Lapua, 338/378 Weatherby, 378 Weatherby mag, 416 Rigby,
416 Weatherby Mag, 460 Weatherby Mag, and the 470 Nitro Express. So build away. I do wonder though, just how much strength difference would there be between the Savage and the Mark V? Not hijacking, just a valid ?.