PDA

View Full Version : newbie question. Want to build a wildcat caliber please help

wlc
01-08-2010, 05:54 AM
I am new to the Savage rifles, but not shooting. I want to build a 458X2 American. It is basically what is now the 450 Marlin. It was developed in the 60's as a short action thumper. It uses a 458 win mag case shortened from 2.5 inches to 2 inches and is fired from a short action instead of a standard or mag length action. My question is which Savage action/factory gun would be my best bet to start with?? As I know very little about the Savages any info would be appreciated. I would prefer one with either a detatchable mag or hinged floor plate. My next question is who/which company would be suggested for the barrel? I know Shaw does chamber for the 458X2 American, but am unaware of others. I am exploring the Savage due to the apparent ease of barrel changes by the owner. I have a good friend that has also recommended the Savage as the donor for this project based on his delight in his heavy barrel 308. Thank you for any help or suggestions on the build you can give.

W

GaCop
01-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Any of the Savage 110 long actions set up with the belted magnum bolt head would be suitable for your project. I remember reading about the cartridge you want to use many years ago, I don't know how well it would feed from a standard magnum length magazine. One of the newer centerfeed detachable mag model would work (not familiar with the model numbers off hand).

I would suggest discussing your project with Jim at Northland shooter Supply, Devin at Sinarms or Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply. They are forum sponsors. Your project is definately doable. Be patient, members more knowledgable them me will chime in.

wlc
01-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Bumping to the top for hopefully more help. I have emailed the contacts referenced above. Thank you for the info Ga Cop. I am originally from N.Ga.

GaCop
01-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Glad I could help. I retired from the military in 85 and worked for Warner Robins PD before going to Centerville where I eventually retired and took a contractor's job in Afghanistan in 07. Prior to retiring/working in Georgia, I was a New Mexico resident.

Apache
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Prolly any action that was chambered in a WSM would do the job if you're wanting to keep it in a short action. You wouldn't have to worry about a bolt head change, just headspace the barrel and go shooting. May have to modify the magazine a bit for feeding but don't know for sure.

There are several around here that have 458 winnys, including me (I haven't mounted my barrel yet) that may be able to help more.