PDA

View Full Version : Would Devcon steel hold up as a recoil lug ?

Fast1
01-10-2013, 01:11 AM
Would Devcon steel hold up as a recoil lug ? The two part type that comes in the little box that you mix together. If you were to bed a stock and ground down the stock lug , then used the Devcon as normal . With the tensile of the Devcon , since it is machinable. Just a thought . Any thoughts' on this ?

thomae
01-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Would Devcon steel hold up as a recoil lug ? The two part type that comes in the little box that you mix together. If you were to bed a stock and ground down the stock lug , then used the Devcon as normal . With the tensile of the Devcon , since it is machinable. Just a thought . Any thoughts' on this ?
NO.

Devcon 10110 is used as a bedding material, but I would never use it as a recoil lug. Never. I would wager that it does not have the anywhere near the magnitude of flexural strength that steel has and I know it does not have the elasticity of Steel. Machinability means nothing, styrene plastic is machinable, but I wouldn't want to use it in my rifle.

If I don't understand your question, please clarify. I am not sure why you would do what I believe you are asking. Perhaps your post is not as clear to others as it is to you. Can you please provide some diagrams or annotated pictures?

tinkerer
01-10-2013, 09:45 PM
thomae is right. As a more or less non-compressible rest, its great, but its tensile and grip retention are only so good, and a rifle recoil can break all kinds of stuff.

I suggest you bed as the tutorial shows and you'll be happier. Keep the nice stell recoil lug, or even upgrae to a heavier one.

Larry
Tinkerer

wbm
01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
If you were to bed a stock and ground down the stock lug , then used the Devcon as normal

Why would you want to do that....what would be the purpose?

jibben
01-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Not even if you were to skip release agent on the gun and glue it in permanent.

In the case of machining it- you have to take that with a pail of salt. You can drill it. you can file it. You can also do the same with your plastic stock.

Bigdave1977
01-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Are you talking about on an action that has the recoil lug in the stock like a Tikka? instead of between the barrel shoulder and action?
Is the axis/edge maybe configured this way? I would never consider using anything but steel as a recoil lug, I would imagine that the bolts could break and send a barreled action into your face if a recoil lug broke.