PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Mis-Fire

Pages : 1 [2]

Fast1
01-12-2013, 03:46 PM
I'll second Nor Cal Mikie, that primers not being seated fully. Or that they are sticking above the face of the case face. Remember it happening back in the 80's when I had a T/C Contender. It wasn't the gun, it was the fact I had some new 7-30 waters brass that the primer pockets weren't made deep enough from the factory. Also happened last year when I got a 2 new boxes of Nosler 300 WSM brass. Been using Nosler Brass for the last 3 years, and had never had any problems before. But had 3 cases out of the first box that didn't fire while at the range. After getting back home and checking , found the primers were sticking up 2,3,5 thousands high. Primers pockets gust weren't deep enough from the factory.

Nandy
01-12-2013, 04:21 PM
I reload as well and I have one ftf about 6 months ago. I waited about 30 sec and took it out. Fire pin seemed to had hit it right. I took the round home and guess whuat? no powder... Just like another member mention here, a primer detonation in a case, close gun and no powder is not that easy to hear with hearing protection (plus Im hard hearing anyway). I knew the primer did went off as I could see the black sooth in the bullet and my clean shell was not clean inside no more and after extracting the primer I could see the burning marks it leaves in the primer pocket... Now on I tend to weight every round before it goes into the range box.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-12-2013, 06:58 PM
NEVER had a round with no powder in it! I double and triple check as the bullet gets seated. Now I have had a case with no primer in place. Powder running out of the primer hole as you pick up the case. (DUH!!)
Any round that FTF gets set aside and as soon as I get home, pulled to see what's going on. Primers are punched out and SMACKED to make sure it's not a primer problem.

bythebook
01-12-2013, 07:55 PM
My experance is different than Elkbanes. I have been loading since 1965 and now load for about 26 diff. calibers. Other than a short period of time a few years ago when I had some ftf's because of CCI primers and they said they had recalled a lot of them and replaced them I have not had any compliants. I usually buy 5 to 10 thousand at a time since I load for my own rifles and 2 Sons also 2 Grandsons, and I have 7 target rifles of my own and a range out my back door. I have used CCI almost totality for years. The only comp. I shoot is informal but when weather and health permits I shoot almost every day.

Be safe out there,
bythebook

jgerrington
01-13-2013, 01:48 AM
I've had a couple FTF's since I've been reloading. Most memorable one was Remington large rifle primer loaded in a 30-30 case. Shooting a marlin lever action. I cocked and struck the primer 5 times with no bang. Finally took out cartridge and the primer was beat down. Threw the round in the pond.

keith1
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Last September I was developing a hunting round for a 7MM Rem Mag. I was using Federal 215 Primers and H4831 powder. All was going well until shot 21 or so. At that time I had a FTF. I tried it again and still nothing. I tried another round and it was normal followed by 2 other misfires. After this sequense I went home and disassembled the failed ammunition. The primers looked very simular to fired primers except that they were not black. I quit using that box of primers, bought 200 more and everything was normal.

I contacted Federal and they wanted me to send the failed primers back for replacement. Unfortunately I had discarded the bad primers.

Regards, Keith

stomp442
01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
I use cci exclusively and have not had a single issue whatsoever.