PDA

View Full Version : Grit on Barrel Threads

ralphob
01-10-2013, 12:09 PM
I have a brand new savage model 10 that I am switching barrels on. I would hate to meet the gorilla that put it on. After a huge battle it started to move but i could feel a lot of grit in the threads as it moved. Once I got it off I found a significant amount of almost spherical grit on the threads of the barrel, on the receiver threads and the barrel nut. It pretty much looked like H335 powder but i am pretty sure its metal shavings. I am not sure if anyone has seen this before. I cleaned everything up, the threads look fine and the barrel nut now spins nice and smooth on the old barrel and it spins smoothly into the receiver (new barrel not here yet). Is this something I should worry about?

Werewolf
01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
This has been discussed on the forum before. I think I remember that the consensus was that it was bead blasting residue. Once you get it cleaned out all is well.

barthowes
01-10-2013, 01:28 PM
ya I remember that thread. there was even some nice pics of the material.

ralphob
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
thanks for the info. I searched for the grit but must not have used the right search term. Sounds like everything is ok and I am good to go. Thanks again for the replies!

J.Baker
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why all you guys run out and buy brand new rifles just to tear them apart and change the barrel.

thirty06
01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
When they come from the factory the way I want them, then i'll quit tearing them apart.
Right now I want 223 Shilen 9twist- Stocky's -SSS , And I want for the same price it cost me to build.

bootsmcguire
01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why all you guys run out and buy brand new rifles just to tear them apart and change the barrel.

For me, the only new rifles I have bought to tear apart have been Stevens 200s. I can usually find them for the price I can get a new bare action plus have the original barrel and stock to sell to recoupe some of the original price. Its just economics since pawn shop rescues seem to be far and few between around my area.

jibben
01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
I have seldom found a used Savage for less then a new Stevens on sale.

bootsmcguire
01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I have seldom found a used Savage for less then a new Stevens on sale.

Very true. I have seen a few over the last few years, but $375 to $450 range for a obviously used pre-accutrigger savage to me is not a good buy when I can get the new Stevens for $300. Accutrigger guns seem to be $425 and up around here, and most of them are in well used condition.

ralphob
01-10-2013, 11:09 PM
I bought the gun new from Wally World for $447 and it came with a entry level Bushnell 3x9 scope. I really wanted the accutrigger and all of the used stuff I saw were only a few dollars less than this was new and most didn't have the trigger. I also thought buying new would make it easier to take the barrel off and the bolt apart. I was wrong on those two accounts, they felt like they were welded on.

thomae
01-11-2013, 12:09 AM
If one searches long enough through old threads, one finds what one remembers in the dark corners of one's own memory: :biggrin-new:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18401-The-foreign-material-that-is-found-under-the-barrel-nut-and-in-action-barrel-threads&highlight=barrel+threads

That thread also includes an interesting (and only slightly off topic) etymological discussion about certain colloquial words.

tomme boy
01-11-2013, 01:49 AM
It is iron shot from the post heat treatment to get rid of the scale. Basically a giant sandblaster that they run them in. I can't believe they are not cleaning them before they put a coat of oil on them. One less step to make them cheaper I guess.