PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Model 40 .22 Hornet

rjtfroggy
01-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Shot my new to me model 40 on Sunday and from the get go there are a few issues. Mainly it does not want to extract. I knew there were issues with this with the original ones but this was supposed to be a later model that was corrected, it wasn't.Sixteen rounds fourteen failures the last being a case head seperation(older brass) probably my own fault. I need to contact Savage to see about new extractors for this one.
Anyway, shooting a 52gr. sierra bthp with 11.3 gr. of lil gun I had bullets touching at 100 so my quest for an accurate 22 hornet after three off brand disappointments is over, and I will keep this one and do some more load work with a 45 gr. bullet(made for the hornet) and post up my results.

On a side note does anyone know of a case extractor for the 22 Hornet, I did a web search and can't find one anywhere. Any being made or for sale?

yobuck
01-11-2013, 09:43 PM
is it the extractor or could it be a weak spring? im just assuming its a bolt face unit.
it wouldnt be a major problem having one made since your old one exists.

rjtfroggy
01-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Solved the stuck case problem. I used a heavey duty concrete anchor 1/4" witch is nothing more than a self tapping screw, tightened until snug then tapped it out from the muzzle end with cleaning rod and the heel of my hand.
Now to call Savage Monday and see about fixing the extraction problems.

JW
01-13-2013, 07:14 AM
A 7mm or 30 cal brush works for the stuck separated cases, just push it past the neck and pull the brass out

Jack

rjtfroggy
01-13-2013, 07:24 AM
JW I tried the oversized brush method and the tight patch method neither worked. What I ended up doing was recommended on another site by a shooter who shoots a couple thousand rounds of hornet per year and it worked , first try, after spending a couple of hours trying different things.

JW
01-13-2013, 08:51 AM
I will keep the anchor bolt in mind for the stubborn ones

Thanks
Jack