PDA

View Full Version : ejection and extraction problems on model 12 ***PROBLEM SOLVED***

malcarjeb
01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
I have a Savage model 12 in 270 WSM and it will not eject a fired round at all. It will eject a live round just fine. It just pulls the empty case out of the chamber and then lets it go on top (or half way) of the magizine follower. I have replaced the extractor spring but it didn't help any. Does anyone have a suggestion or info that will fix this problem?
Thanks

UPDATE:
Fellows, I just want ya'll to know I got the ejection problem fixed!! I took the extractor out and put it in my vise and got the dremal tool with a small cutting head thats about .050 thick, about the same depth as the cut in the extractor. I cut just a little deeper and put it back together and it works perfect! It will now hold an empty in the bolt head with it out of the rifle, which it would never do before. Thanks

lwink
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Are these factory or hand loads?

malcarjeb
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Are these factory or hand loads?

Doesn't matter, I can use a new unfired cases and it want eject. Just pulls it back and drops it, sometimes just a little more than half way out the chamber.

steveinwv
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
What if you pull the bolt back as quickly as you can?

malcarjeb
01-07-2010, 11:18 PM
What if you pull the bolt back as quickly as you can?

Tried that too. I sure would like to find a fix, its aggravating having to reach in with your hand to pull the case out. As stated before a loaded round will fly out. ???

lwink
01-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Interesting -- I was wondering if your loads were a little overpressure making them stick inside your chamber and come off your bolt face, but if it does the same with factory loads that shouldn't be the case. Have you tried cycling an unloaded resized or unfired case (sounds like you have, just double checking)? If it works with loaded ammo and properly sized empty brass it must be something to do with the firing, if it works with loaded ammo but no empty cases that's just crazy and I am stumped, but curious as to how it is resolved...

ellobo
01-08-2010, 02:53 AM
Check your extactor to see if there is crap in the groove that grips the rim or if the extractor may not be formed correctly. Awhile back there was a rash of badly cast exctractors and a lot of people were having this problem. Call Savage and get a new one as well as a new spring and detent ball. Midway or Brownells may also have them.

Ell Lobo

malcarjeb
01-08-2010, 03:29 AM
I guess i will just give Savage a call and see what they say. I just replaced the extractor spring and didn't help. Thanks, will let ya'll know what Savage says.

allan1066
01-08-2010, 03:58 AM
I have exactly the same problem with my 12F in 6br, its never worried me though as its a single shot and I only ever punch paper. I put it down to a slightly oversized boltface (at around .480 I think) and a slightly undersized detent ball under the extractor plate (I think there is a mod for this by using a bigger ball.)

Would a short length of rod of the right diameter about 1/8 inch long with a nicely rounded top do the job?

Dennis
01-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Call Fred At SSS, something about the ball bearings being so small on the extractor. Also I had the same problem, I keep the bolt, extractor, and ejectory lightly lube, and keep the chamber very clean, rarely have any issues now!

Dennis

malcarjeb
01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I called Savage and they are sending a new spring,ball, and extractor. I hope this works, if not i will give Fred a call at
SSS. Thanks guys.

hunter2
01-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Have a 12bvss that did the same. It was straight with no curve for the brass head. A little file work time for proper conture and now it holds all the way back. that worked for mine, but.

woody
01-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I have a 12 low profile in .223 rem. that doesn't eject and one in 204 that does.
I use a single shot follower and only shoot from a bench and was wondering what I could do to make the 204 not eject so I wouldn't have to chase the brass.

Joe O
01-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I just received my LRPV back from the factory,with the same ,no extract problem and severe primer cratering.I don't want to hear about pressure.Factory ammo and rem 71/2BR primers all the same and ejection half the time or less.The custom shop (Palama) installed a new bolt nose,which cleared up 95% of the primer cratering.I only fired 10 rounds to get rezeroed and check primer hits and ejection.It only ejected 3 out of 10 cases (factory Hornady).There is less slop in the bolt face and more spring pressure on my ejector pin,than before I sent it.Next step is the larger detent ball (9/64),then Fred does make a slightly larger extractor that should work.If you don't want the cartridge to eject,just remove the ejector,or just the spring and replace the pin.

malcarjeb
01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Fellows, I just want ya'll to know I got the ejection problem fixed!! I took the extractor out and put it in my vise and got the dremal tool with a small cutting head thats about .050 thick, about the same depth as the cut in the extractor. I cut just a little deeper and put it back together and it works perfect! It will now hold an empty in the bolt head with it out of the rifle, which it would never do before. Thanks

jrmy_1
01-10-2010, 10:05 PM

Congrats!!! Also, could you edit your first post with the solution so we don't have to read all the way to the bottom for the fix? For those that may have the same issues in the future.

malcarjeb
01-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks, and I did edit my first post, didn't think about that.

Joe O
01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Malcarjeb,thanks.Worth a try.I did order 1/2 doz .140 detent balls from SSS this afternoon,then I'll try your mod before buying the extractor Fred makes.