PDA

View Full Version : XLR Scope Mount Measurements

capreppy
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I am ordering an XLR chassis. Their suggested math for scope rings is as follows:

(actual objective diameter/2) + .9 - (action diameter/2) - base height = required ring height

Can someone who has an EGW 41002 20 MOA for a Savage Short Action (4.4) measure the base height for me?
Can someone who has a Savage Short Action 4.4 measure the diameter of the action?

Thanks!!

yorketransport
01-10-2013, 11:57 PM
What size scope are you using? I was running a Mk 4 8.5-25x50 in Burris Xtreme high rings on a Brownells picatinny base. This gave me about .2" clearance between the objective and the forend.

This is one of the reason's I'm selling my XLR chassis. I just couldn't get used to having the scope 2.3" above the bore. Great stock if you can get past the scope mounting though.

Andrew

capreppy
01-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Initially I am installing a Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/vortex-viper-hs-tactical-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-5-15x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_vc=wishList). I will be upgrading in May to the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/551487/vortex-viper-pst-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-6-24x-50mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-illuminated-ebr-1-mrad-reticle-matte?cm_vc=wishList).

I've got a set of the Burris Xtreme High Rings now and will see if those work well. If they do great. If they are not high enough, then I'll find something else.

I am curious as to how you get "used" to having the scope 2.3" above the bore. If you're using a ballistics calculator to figure out your come ups, you factor in your scope height and make adjustments accordingly.

jibben
01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Just a thought. AR riser may help. let you use a more common lower ring.

"Get used to" would be head / cheek weld position. If the scope is to high your neck is on the stock.

yorketransport
01-11-2013, 09:42 PM
I am curious as to how you get "used" to having the scope 2.3" above the bore. If you're using a ballistics calculator to figure out your come ups, you factor in your scope height and make adjustments accordingly.

It's a little bit cosmetic. I don't like the look of having the scope sit that high over the action. I also don't like how it changes the balance. The gun feels top heavy. It also uses up more elevation adjustment to get the scope zeroed.

Andrew