PDA

View Full Version : 300wsm small shank

bundagus
01-08-2013, 11:06 AM
I have question, pretty new to savage type firearms compared to most of you guys on this forum (definitely some knowledge here)

can I put a 300 WSM on a small shank short action?
and would the bolt head also work in that action too?

Thanks

stangfish
01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes it will work, you need an elusive small action magnum bolt head and either tweak a 308 family Mag box or pic up a WSM magbox and follower.

jglover_81
01-08-2013, 04:00 PM
He will also need the short action magnum firing pin with the bolt head. It's a tad longer than the regular firing pin due to the thicker lugs

stangfish
01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
thats right. The short action Magnum bolt head has 9/16ths lugs

yobuck
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
new questions different member.
im assuming a factory 300wsm would be a large shank action?
and im also assuming a barrel installed on an old short action
wouldnt be transferable?

stangfish
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
The factory WSM's are large diameter shanks..
Small diameter barrels will not fit those actions. If you had a large thread action and wanted the versatility of the small action I am sure you could find someone to trade with you.

MrMajestic
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
He will also need the short action magnum firing pin with the bolt head. It's a tad longer than the regular firing pin due to the thicker lugs

I put a SA left hand Magnum bolt head on my RBLP PTA action and, per another post on this site, lengthened the original to give me the required FP protrusion. Are you saying I shouldn't have done this? All appears fine and shoots very well. Thanks in advance for all replies.

yobuck
01-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Small diameter barrels will not fit those actions. If you had a large thread action and wanted the versatility of the small action I am sure you could find someone to trade with you.

thanks for your responce and confirmation of my assumptions.
my reason for asking was i had built a 6.5 wsm on an old short action.
the magazine swap from the original 243 to the short mag became a problem to say the least.
actually the swap part went well. getting it to work was the problem part.
it is now fixed and seems to be working ok. during all that it dawned on me to swap the barrel over to a
factory short mag action to eliminate the problem. but youve confirmed what i suspected.

338X
01-09-2013, 09:58 PM
The large shank is 1.125" and the small shank is 1.05" and talking to my gunsmith, you can machine off the threads from large shank and re-thread for the small, re-sue the barrel nut and the lug. My biggest concern is what you do for the ejector? I recently purchased a 2012 model 10 in 308 WIN with a detachable mag and want to have a spare barrelin 300 WSM and I also want to make sure it's feasible.

JCalhoun
01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Some of the early factory Savage WSM's were standard shank.

I had a 7WSM barrel made for a standard action.

nocturnalnasty
01-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I have one of the older (small shank) 110 long-short action tactical 308's that I had rechambered to 300 WSM. Did the above bolt head and firing pin conversions and have never looked back. I shoot to Berger 185 vld at just over 3000 fps with 1/2 MOA and better accuracy. I did not put a break on it. Instead it rides in a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock. Recoil is very comfortable for me. Hope you have fun with it.
John