PDA

View Full Version : Loose bolt shroud. Lack of better word

youngtrout
01-06-2013, 04:34 AM
Well. On my two savages both my "bolt shrouds" are pretty loose One wants to fall off when I take the bolt out. Other is just loose. Seems like there are a couple ball bearings applying tension. How can I fix these??

thomae
01-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Pictures would help a lot to make sure we know exactly what you are talking about.
I believe you are talking about the rear baffle.
On some rifles they are looser than on others. I suppose you could replace the springs that provide tension on the ball bearings (disassemble inside a plastic bag so you don't lose the ball bearings or old springs).
As long as the baffles don't fall off the rifle when assembled, I don't think it is a problem.

pa hog
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
I've had them get loose due to getting gunk/rust in behind the ball corroding the spring, Try taking them off and soaking them in a penetrating oil and the working the ball in and out it might increase the tension.

All the problems I had stemmed from using cheap Rem-Oil a switch to Break Free CLP helped. The Rem-Oil actually was causing me and a buddys gun to rust over night. We both picked it up on clearance at Walmart go figure.

acemisser
01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
that Rem oil is just like Wd :poop:

youngtrout
01-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Yes, I'm talking about rear baffle, thanks for clearing that up, didn't have a schematic in front of me

I'll inspect the ball bearings there. See if they are stuck, don't mind a little wobble but again, on one the thing falls off. A problem in my book