PDA

View Full Version : 243 for Moose

Pages : 1 2 [3]

NOOTKA NICK
07-02-2014, 03:03 AM
I hunt moose in northern Ontario, one of the older fellas in our group uses a .243 with core locts. I e seen him drop quite a few moose with it. He's an excellent shot and waits for a broadside.
That being said I use a 111 in 300 winmag with 180 grain federal blue box. Premium bullets work, but aren't necessary

WELCOME R.N.H back in the 60s I lived in MARATHON and worked at the mine in MANITOUAGE. Old fellow that took me hunting out your way used an old SAVAGE lever action in that anemic .303SAVAGE round........ guess what, it killed a moose stone dead after it made that 50 yard dash!!! no moose on Vancouver island but ELK on a lottery draw or lots of BIG blackbear.......I also have a FCXP3 IN .300WIN MAG. and if I hunt on the upper east side of the island, coast or Nimpkish valley,i carry that rifle stoked with hornady 220gr.roundnose because we have grizzly there now. any where else I may carry the .300 but more likely my scoped .44mag early model ruger carbine or a factory refurbished Italian carcano rifle in 6.5x52mm with hornady 160gr.roundnose CRUISE MISSLES or another carcano in 6.5x54 MS..... it will drop an elephant so a big blackbear is in dire straights if I have him in my sites.. why would I NOT carry that rifle in the grizzly territory?????? WTF I may have my opinions but I am NOT nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to live long enough to capture a SASQUATCH!!!!! some years back the our old premier/ Govenor made it ILLEGAL to shoot any great ape /SASQUATCH in the wilds..........but they may be captured if unharmed and turned over to the provincial wildlife department!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xbolt
12-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Keep your shots under 150 yards and use primium bullets (partition,ttsx, aframe to name a few) and heaviest u can find but I suggest 270 win or 308 as a minimum

NOOTKA NICK
12-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Update, 6.5x52 carcano...120gr.nosler hunting ballistic tip = 83 LAZER MEASURED yards just under 300lb.vancouver island black bear..........early November central B.C. young bull moose
1904 Portuguese mauser 6.5x58mm 120gr.ballastic huntingtip/nosler....just over 100yards open sites neck shot moose stumbled on its feet, back end dropped and down it went.... still alive when approached ..put another round back of head........dead.............. partner DID have my back with a .300 WSM just like hunting grizzly,JUST IN CASE.......... lots of advice probably by most whom have never even seen a SWAMP DONKEY........but that's just an old mans humble opinion who really does not care too much what all the EXPERTS have to say ......... p.s. looking to take my 2nd. blackbear with a model 84 11 mm mauser(.43 cal)

Rooster 50
12-10-2014, 11:54 AM
For the record Nick the Elk you mention from Colorado was shot by John Plute with a 30/40 Krag. It was shot in some of the blackest timber i have ever seen and i have hunted that area.
I doubt that the shot was over 100yards but I can't say for sure.

D.ID
12-10-2014, 09:07 PM
What can be done and what should be done are very different.
What some one that had no choice was able to do or had to do is not really relevant.
Grandpa may have walked 40 miles to school in two feet of snow, uphill both ways...............I think I'm going to drive anyway, because I can.

foxx
12-10-2014, 09:08 PM
what can be done and what should be done are very different.
What some one that had no choice was able to do or had to do is not really relevant.
Grandpa may have walked 40 miles to school in two feet of snow, uphill both ways...............i think i'm going to drive anyway, because i can.

lol