PDA

View Full Version : DIY Trigger Work on Three Screw Factory Trigger

jbo_c
01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Have a three screw factory trigger and would like to lighten the pull(Model 110 .270). I've read the tutorial in the Savage FAQs section several times and understand it. I'm pretty mechanical, but never done anything to a rifle except break down and reassemble M16/M60/50 cal.

Is lightening the pull on my trigger a reasonable and safe DIY project for me to tackle if I follow the tutorial step by step? I realize I ultimately have to make that call.

If I decide to take it to someone, what should I expect to pay?

Thanks.

Jbo

J.Baker
01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
This is one of those things where if you don't feel comfortable or confident in doing it yourself, you probably shouldn't.

jbo_c
01-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Well, I'm comfortable and confident I can follow the steps in that tutorial successfully. . . . if it's really as simple and direct as it seems.

I'm very handy and regularly do entirely new things only following well written directions.

Maybe my question should be "Is the tutorial sufficiently detailed and complete as written for someone who's never done it before to do it correctly?"

Jbo

pdog06
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
This article?

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures

Yes, it really is as easy as that, but make sure you are 100% confident and always double and triple check your work.

stangfish
01-04-2013, 01:27 AM
The one thing that needs to be expressed is spring preload on the trigger. You need to keep enough pressure to maintain engagement of the sear when closing the bolt. otherwise there is the potential of the gun firing on bolt closing.

jbo_c
01-04-2013, 08:20 AM
That's the article.

Spring preload does seem to be the most critical point for safety.

Thanks for the responses.

Jbo

stangfish
01-04-2013, 11:45 AM
This article?

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures

Yes, it really is as easy as that, but make sure you are 100% confident and always double and triple check your work.

I had never seen that. I need to keep this link for when you're not around.:smile-new:

pdog06
01-04-2013, 02:14 PM
its right in the FAQ section with all the other things you havent found yet.....LOL

ellobo
01-04-2013, 03:44 PM
You can replace that straight wire with a smaller dia. to lighten the pull. Several guys on here will send you a pc. Hopefully one of them will chime in. I got a pc. several yrs ago and it works very well.

El Lobo

stangfish
01-04-2013, 03:57 PM
its right in the FAQ section with all the other things you havent found yet.....LOL

When you know everything you don't need a Faq section! SC (Spewing Coffee)

stangfish
01-04-2013, 04:02 PM
I can send one in .040 diameter. PM me with your address if you want one. It will need to be bent by you with a pair of needle nose. My best trigger jobs use the factory spring but I have a honing fixture to get things the way I likes it. And no, You cant see it.