PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Pulling Made Easier

scope eye
01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
When using the RCBS inertia hammer aka bullet puller, instead of using those annoying chucks or those finger things held together by that O ring, a shell holder for the bullet being used, it fits perfectly, put the bullet in the shell holder insert it in the hammer and screw the cap on done, and is ten times quicker.

Tanks Dean

kelbro
01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
That is faster but it can also distort the rim if the neck tension is high. I tried it and damaged about 20 pieces of brass.

scope eye
01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Wow that gives a new meaning to words neck tension.

Dean

jibben
01-03-2013, 08:12 PM
That is faster but it can also distort the rim if the neck tension is high. I tried it and damaged about 20 pieces of brass.

How old were the loads?

scope eye
01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Come to think of it that where they fingers grab the brass, so what's the difference?

kelbro
01-03-2013, 10:07 PM
The fingers grab it all the way around, the shell holder does not. It warped the unsupported part. Light bullets in a 30-30 with a crimp.

EFBell
01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Much easier if you press the bullets in a little bit with a seating die, just enough to "break the seal" before hammering the daylights out of them.

jibben
01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Much easier if you press the bullets in a little bit with a seating die, just enough to "break the seal" before hammering the daylights out of them.

Times I wondered if I was going to destroy my hammer before I learned that. rough pour concrete floors = abrasion.

EFBell
01-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Times I wondered if I was going to destroy my hammer before I learned that. rough pour concrete floors = abrasion.

I have a 1/2" steel bench plate 12x12 sitting on my bench for such purposes. Makes a delightful ringing sound when smacked with the inertia puller. also quite handy for driving pins and other such tasks. A few different sized holes drilled partially through makes certain tasks a little easier.

scope eye
01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
The back of my bench vise has a nice 6x6 flat area built in, that's a nice solid surface to abuse.

Tanks Dean

MoYoteHunter
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Buy a hornady collet puller. You'll kick yourself for not buying one sooner.

Jamie
01-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Easiest way to pull them is with a collett puller. Once I purchased one I threw that hammer away and haven't looked back. The inertia puller sucks.

BillPa
01-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Easiest way to pull them is with a collett puller.

Actually the easiest way is watching a big strong son pull down ammo with a collet puller! Doing it yourself is the second easiest!:p

n4ue
04-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Hi. I meant to post this some time ago.... I have both the Collet style and several inertia pullers.
However, I 'thought' I invented the best one. Search for "Davidson Plier Style" bullet pullers. I saw a picture on them in my new Sinclair catalog that arrived today. I have a bunch of scrap al and I made a couple down to .17 cal.
Put the round in your press of choice, without a die. Lower the handle to raise the round. Place the tool on the bullet, and raise the handle.
Presto, no effort, no spilled powder, NO hammering, no damaged bullets. Sweet!
I never crimp my rifle cases, so I can't comment on that aspect.

ron