PDA

View Full Version : trimming brass a necesary evil

Willoughby
01-03-2013, 01:15 PM
trimming is by far the worst part of reloading
I have found possum hollow trimmers mounted in a drill press to be the least painful- quickest way
I also use the same power attachment that fits their trimmers to hold 2 identical champher tools
1 is held for inside & 1 for outside
their all laying on my drill press ready to go
I can process 500 brass in about an hour
with this system
takes about a second to trim
and just a touch to the champher tools -thats all it takes

kelbro
01-03-2013, 03:04 PM
I purchased a set of chamber length plugs from Sinclair. These measure the actual chamber length. I discovered that on most of my rifles the chambers are so generous that I never need to trim (except after the first firing if I want to get them uniform).

Saves me a lot of time and effort.

davemuzz
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
There are a lot of "keys" to obtaining one-hole groups at 100 and 200 yards....which "in general" means you should get sub-MOA groups beyond that.

One of those keys is that all of your brass should be trimmed to the same length. In addition, the neck tension should all be the same consistency (quality neck tension dies are a must) a good chamfer inside and out, of course consistent powder charges, same primers, and consistent bullet seating depths....and don't seat too deep 'n then pull 'n re-seat with out re-neck sizing. if you did that, the neck tension will be different....and so will the POI.

Man......when I started reloading.....all I wanted to do was shoot my 44-Mag more!!!

Nor Cal Mikie
01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
And, if you shoulder bump and neck size, your brass won't grow so no trimming is needed.
I've got BR brass with 20 to 25 + firings on them that are necksized/shoulder bumped and never need trimming and still going strong.
Knowing the "actual" chamber length is a BIG +. That's where the Sinclair chamber length pulgs really shine. Get them for each caliber you shoot so there's no guesswork.