PDA

View Full Version : problems with model 10

okslammer
01-01-2013, 08:24 AM
i have a model 10 in 243 the problem is sometimes after it has been loaded i cant get the bolt to open, the handle wil lift but it wont cycle open, if i fire it then it will, i wasnt to concerned with mine cause i couldnt make it repeat and it has only done it a couple of times but a buddy has a new 10 predator and it done it to him the other day was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there was a fix, oh by the way i called savage a while back and the had no answer and treated me like i was an idiot thanks Robert

acemisser
01-01-2013, 10:06 AM
any issue with the two position safty...

J.Baker
01-01-2013, 11:12 AM
My first guess would be a combination of two things - lack of primary extraction (seems to be a common problem here of late) and your bullets being seated out to far and getting jammed into the lands "sticking" the round if you will (assuming these are handloads of course).

82boy
01-01-2013, 06:06 PM
As MR.F has stated Savage has had a problem with the bolt handels made lately with primary extraction problems, it may be that you need to get another bolt handel.

Another thought comes to mind and it is the brass its self, you say that this happens after ammo is loaded. First question come to mind is how many times has this brass been loaded? Second question is how do you have your sizing die set up? Third question is was this brass fired in another rifle, and then only neck sized. What I am reading into your question is that you have a "click" in the brass, and there is somethings that will cause this, but once it developes the brass is junk.

ellobo
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Awhile back Fred Moreo at SSS explained the problem that some new rifles were having with primary extraction and it is a problem with Savage milling off the nub on the bolt that does the primary extraction to correct a defect in the bolt handles. All they accomplished was to ruin primary extraction. Those bolts got into the field. Try a new bolt handle to see if that is your problem or try one from another bolt if you have one. If it is the problem then call Savage and chew their butts over it.

El Lobo