PDA

View Full Version : New Member/New rifle with a problem

Pages : 1 [2]

Speedrat1
01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Nice gorilla...... nice gorilla:black_eyed: Just kidding! She shows those arms work for a living though! Thank much for the pic, helps to see the setup for sure. If as you say they're clamping the receiver tight - with the indicator where it is they may well be bending the receiver square with the barrel.... it will bend first where she's pushing. I'm probably not expressing this all that well but the way it's setup the final result as I see it is a straight "assembly"

Apache
01-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Now that's an arbor press!!!

tyler.woodard04
01-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I know a guy who recently chucked up a sporter barrel in a fix to make an alignment jig for bedding an action. He said it was scary how far out of true it was

SuperKaos
01-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Well the rifle's box'd up and headed to Savage tomorrow. I didn't speak to Joe, a Cynthia handled it. I explained all my findings to her. Her interpolation of it was "won't target" by the ref. note on the shipping label.

The label is addressed to her so she will be the CS rep handling my issue. The are very willing to take rifles in it seems, it almost seemed as if they were waiting for my call.

So we'll see what happens from here...Thanks for your help guys!

lago
01-04-2013, 08:02 PM
This sounds like the same problem that I had with my .223 FVSS that I got early last year ago. When I got it on paper at 100 yards, I didn't have enough clicks left to increase elevation at a longer distance. I was able to correct the windage by shifting the rear scope mount and fixed the elevation problem with 2 or 3 strips of plastic electrical tape. I am still in warranty but I don't know if I want them to mess with it since it shoots so good.
Lago

SuperKaos
01-06-2013, 09:23 AM
This sounds like the same problem that I had with my .223 FVSS that I got early last year ago. When I got it on paper at 100 yards, I didn't have enough clicks left to increase elevation at a longer distance. I was able to correct the windage by shifting the rear scope mount and fixed the elevation problem with 2 or 3 strips of plastic electrical tape. I am still in warranty but I don't know if I want them to mess with it since it shoots so good.
Lago

Really? I have a 12 FCV .223 it too has a heavy barrel. This one actually points where it's aiming. And man does it aim! I can nearly hit the same hole at 200 yds. And with my Nikon Monarch I can zero it in @ 100 with my primary load, then set the scope turrets to zero as well. When I go out to 200 I give it the set clicks up and it's spot on. And I also have a plinking load that actually shoots 1" high at a 100, so for that it gets 8 clicks down (1/8" MOA)

I hope to get the FVSS 308 like that...

Do me a favor, next time you get a chance pull your bolt out and look through your scope on a POI sight picture. Then eye ball where your barrel is aiming. I'm just curious if you have a mounting issue or a barrel/receiver issue

SuperKaos
01-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Update, I called Savage and they said that they replaced the barrel. They didn't say why, just said it would be another 2 weeks because they still have to "proof' it?

SuperKaos
01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Well it's been a good day, I had the UPS Drivers number and was able to plan the return delivery of the my .308 today.

First thing was to tested the land depth of the new barrel, it was .009 shorter than the other barrel. So I pushed the bullets in .009, mounted the scope, did the usual bore sight, clean the barrel, then off to sight it in...

I set up on the 100 yd bench and fired 2 shots. They were nearly the same hole .220 apart and about an inch and a 1/4 low. I gave it 5 clicks up and fired two more. It broke out a little bit, .551 ;-)

Here's the target... Man, this is the way it's suppose to be!

http://sktrailer.com/images/308%20sightin.jpg

ellobo
01-28-2013, 07:01 PM
I wonder if that "straightening process" with the arbor press is a cause for many of the savage rifles hard bolt lift. Of the three Savages I have worked on, two had moderatly hard bolt lift and one is insane. And the insane one is the least accurate of the three. I have to smack the bottom of the bolt knob with my hand to get it to move.

El Lobo

SuperKaos
01-28-2013, 07:06 PM
I have 3 Savage rifles and all the bolts move freely.

DanSavage
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Good deal man, I'd like you to make a video shooting 2 liter soda bottles filled with water and the caps on tight!

Glad you got a straight shooting .308 now.

SuperKaos
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Good deal man, I'd like you to make a video shooting 2 liter soda bottles filled with water and the caps on tight!

Glad you got a straight shooting .308 now.

Thanks Dan,

That's to funny you say that, I JUST got done filling 2 - 2 liter bottles with water and food coloring. And grabbed the tripod.
Those bottles have explosive results when hit center mass.

What makes you want to see a vid of that?

DanSavage
01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks Dan,

That's to funny you say that, I JUST got done filling 2 - 2 liter bottles with water and food coloring. And grabbed the tripod.
Those bottles have explosive results when hit center mass.

What makes you want to see a vid of that?

Oh, I've shot some 2 liter's with my .308 and it is awesome, I saw your video of your .223 shooting stuff at your range and thought you'd be able to get some good slow mo of the .308's detrimental results on 2 liter's.

SuperKaos
01-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Ah, gotcha! If the weather holds out I should be able to get some good vids tomorrow...

SuperKaos
01-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Dan, I got some awesome bottle blasting video! I was able to do it at 200 yards too! The bottle just disappears! I'm putting the vids together now.