PDA

View Full Version : Success with my first reload!

thermaler
12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Well, I'm proud to announce that I successfully loaded and fired my first reloads: 6.5 mm -284 129 gr Hornady SST propelled by 43 gr. of H 4831. What a fantastic learning experience--and I look forward to learning more. Next on the menu will be some accubond and triple-shock loads. I'm waiting for my chronograph to get here before I extensively test the efficacy of the loads.

Apache
12-31-2012, 07:54 PM
The best part is you lived to tell about it! LOL!!

It gets very addicting trying to find that perfect load........then always looking for an improvement on it. :boom:

scope eye
12-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Your chrono numbers will always be a lot lower, than you thought they should or hope they would be, but when you first start reloading all you should be concerned with is consistency, meaning not a big spread between you highest and lowest FPS numbers, I remember the first round that I had loaded and fired off, there are not to many things that duplicate that rush.

Tanks Dean

thermaler
12-31-2012, 08:04 PM
The best part is you lived to tell about it! LOL!!

It gets very addicting trying to find that perfect load........then always looking for an improvement on it. :boom:

Yeah, the OCD/addictive aspect is not lost on me--but I can blame the retail price of factory ammo for sending me over the edge. : )

thermaler
12-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Your chrono numbers will always be a lot lower, than you thought they should or hope they would be, but when you first start reloading all you should be concerned with is consistency, meaning not a big spread between you highest and lowest FPS numbers, I remember the first round that I had loaded and fired off, there are not to many things that duplicate that rush.

Tanks DeanA rush indeed--very empowering. learned so much just by reading reload books and getting to know the dynamics of cartridges and why/how they fire. Some powder was spilled and a few primers went skittering across the floor, so it wasn't all flawless : )

jibben
12-31-2012, 08:16 PM
reload to save money? I think there is over $4,000.00 worth of equipment and supply's in the garage. Maybe half that in loaded ammo out there also.
The search for "the load" can add up!
A rush and let down at the same time is when the first load works.

Apache
12-31-2012, 08:21 PM
A rush and let down at the same time is when the first load works.

THAT'S when you know you're addicted!!!! LOL!!! There has never been truer words uttered!

scope eye
12-31-2012, 08:37 PM
"Some powder was spilled and a few primers went skittering across the floor, so it wasn't all flawless : ):

That sounds like one of my everyday reloading sessions.

Dean