PDA

View Full Version : Caliber specific scopes

airdale
12-31-2012, 03:56 PM
OK guys, I'm going to be ordering a 93R17FV (cheap as possible 'cause I'll end up hot rodding it).
My question is about caliber specific scopes. Do they have any advantages over regular non spec. scopes?
I found a Barska for 17 HMR that is kind of interesting but really know nothing about them. I'll be using the Rifle for punching
paper in postal matches at primarily 50 and a 100 yds. The 50yd targets have really small points to shoot at so I'll need a
pretty fine reticle. I'd like at least a 3-9 variable for versatility and not go over $200. This gun is for fun and I don't want to break the
bank which would kill the fun factor. I'm relativly new to rimfire, my last project was a 7mm Rem. mag in an XLR chassis and I'm starting a
6.5 Creedmoor for the wife.

If any of you more experienced rimfire shooters can suggest anything that would meet my needs or lead
me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

J.Baker
01-01-2013, 07:16 AM
The only reason to go with a "caliber specific" scope is if you want a BDC reticle that's calibrated for that round's trajectory or you want an elevation turret that's calibrated for the same. For a little 17 HMR I'd put the extra money towards a better quality scope than I would one of these barely useful features. The little 17cal bullets get blown around too much and run out of gas around 300 yards, and really it's not all that effective on game past 200. IIRC (it's been awhile) the drop from 100 to 200 for a 17gr ballistic tip bullet is like 3 inches which is a measly 6 clicks on a 1/4 minute turret.

As for Barska, I wouldn't use one to wipe my....:censored: For the money you're looking to spend I'd suggest a Vortex Crossfire 4-12x. They've proven to be a very good scope for the money and it's available with a couple different reticle options.

airdale
01-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Jim, thanks for the reply. I had already decided against the Barska and had found a Bushnell for .17 cal. but wasn't happy with the reticle.
I looked at the Vortex and the dead hold reticle looks like it'll fill the bill. Don't know why I hadn't considered them I put a Vortex FFP scope on my 7mm. The extra power will be a plus for my old eyes. Now to figure the ring height I need.