PDA

View Full Version : Two piece picatinny mount?

troppoveloce
12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the forums but have recently acquired a model 114 "American Classic" chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. I've been looking around and have found numerous scope mounts and rings, but what I really want is two separate bases sloped for +20 MOA with the standard picatinny cross grooves. I've found some at opticsplanet and others from Nightforce (not sure about that brand) but they cost about $100 which seems a bit steep. My question is: Do you think it would be ok to cut a single piece rail ($40) into two pieces (removing the unused center portion) if it has four screws, two front and two back? I'm thinking this would still be structurally sound and even though i lose some of the mounting options it will look better when compared to a single rail in my opinion. Please correct me if this is a bad idea or suggest a cost effective option for a two piece mount.

Thanks

squirrelsniper
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
As far as I know, Nightforce is the only company making 2-piece 20MOA bases for a Savage. Nightforce is good stuff, but it's pricey.

You could cut out the center of a 1pc 20MOA picatinny base but the trick is that it would have to be a base for a long action (since your rifle is a long action). If you took a SA version and cut it apart the angles would end up being wrong when the ends were moved farther apart.

geargrinder
01-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Or, you could use some Burris Xtreme bases with Burris Signature Zee rings. Two piece steel bases and the rings have offset inserts that will give you the MOA needed.

davemuzz
01-01-2013, 07:32 PM
I don't know what your aversion is to a one piece base, but if you buy the Nightforce you are buying a quality product. I have the EWG one piece mounts on my Savage .223 Carbine http://www.egwguns.com/savage/ and I'm very happy with it.

FWIW

Dave

troppoveloce
01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've got the single piece rail and was just wondering, I just like the more open look with the two bases. I'll probably just leave it alone for now and save myself the trouble.