PDA

View Full Version : Fred's Flutes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

sparks1
01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/sparks1_bucket/BillmurrayCaddyShack.jpg

Oh'hhh Billy,Billy,Billy !!!

Beautiful job Fred. I really like mine...just the ticket for my Savage.

clambdin
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Can fred do spiral flutes on the bolt ?

3fingervic
01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Fantastic. That flute style is the best I've ever seen.

sparks1
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Can fred do spiral flutes on the bolt ?

I believe this issue was covered by another post. "Very,very,very expensive tooling costs to do these. BUT...send SSS an email to doublecheck.

mgs44mag
01-09-2010, 12:06 PM
I was wondering.........

Can you do a color to match Ben & Jerry's strawberry cheese cake, add drizzled chocolate and pixy dust sprinkled on??? :D

sharpshooter
01-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't want you to be lickin' your bolt..... ;D

Joe_Kidd
01-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Been trying to call them for a few days to get in line. Do they ever answer their phone?

nrar15
01-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I found it's best just to email Lisa with orders unless you have alot of time to dial their number over and over and over. They are great to deal with if you can get a hold of them on the phone.
Bob

Netz
01-10-2010, 12:36 PM
[/quote]I just put one on order today -- Fred guaranteed me it would turn any gun I put it on into a .25 MOA or better shooter. ;) Theoretically they make for some smoother bolt cycling through debris or over shells, but in reality for me it's "bling" as you said. something to make your jeweled savage bolt into a custom looking one.
[/quote]
Doesn't Accuracy International rifles put cuts/flutes in the bolt to prevent lock up from freezing? I guess it would depend on the bolt design and where the tight clearance areas fall.
I like to look of the fluting, I just don't want to pay for it :}
Curt

dperk
01-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Been trying to call them for a few days to get in line. Do they ever answer their phone?

Email Lisa with a number to call you back. You can't get through in the mornings because she is returning calls. Email her a call back # and you'll be on the list to call in the AM. (that's what she told me)

I got in the hard way... keep hitting redial! Also, from my very limited experience, SSS products are worth the wait!

azrednek
01-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi, just found your group today and have been enjoying myself cruising though it. I'm a big fan of the Stevens 200's. Have to admit the low cost is my biggest attraction. Simply put I'm a cheapskate but as long as my 200's will shoot as good out of the box as any mass produced, USA made rifle. I can't justify in my mind spending more for a rifle that is just cosmetically more appealing. Sure the 200's triggers leave a bit to be desired but I can add a Timney Trigger and still be plenty of $$ ahead.

Reason I'm posting in this thread is I love the looks of the bolts. I'm wanting to put together a custom project for an attractive feminine pink rifle for a woman relative. I don't care if the fluted bolts shoot better or not, they look nice and will make a 200 look like a custom rifle. I did a net search of Fred's Flutes and didn't have any luck. If anybody could post a link to Fred's it will be really appreciated. I would also appreciate any tips or suggestions on where to get a wild looking pink or multi-colored veneer, thumb hole stock.

I want to use a Stevens 200 as the basis for the project but she might be a right handed left eye dominant shooter so I might have to go to a higher priced Savage model. As I said, I'm a cheapskate, can anybody offer any advice on the lowest cost route for a Stevens or Savage lefty? Sure wish the 200's were available for lefties. I'm still undecided on caliber. I'm kicking around 22/250, 7MM/08 or 243.

Also I just wanted to join in here, say hello, introduce myself because I'm sure you will be hearing more from me.

Blue Avenger
01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Fred is the owner of http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ Fluted bolt body are not listed yet on his site.

Your stevens is no longer inexpensive if you read this LOL

lwink
01-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Doesn't Accuracy International rifles put cuts/flutes in the bolt to prevent lock up from freezing? I guess it would depend on the bolt design and where the tight clearance areas fall.

That's right -- "snipers" find it necessary to drag their weapon through leaves, grass, mud, sand, etc in all weather conditions... so that's where the flutes are helpful. Same idea as the old russian rifles -- make things loose and sloppy and you can shoot just about anything through them. A "tight" fitting bolt in theory freezes up and binds easier when conditions get rough, granted it looks neat and different therefore caught on.
A short clarification - The reason sniper made quotes is not to make light of or mock those great gentlemen and women serving their country and defending us back home, but rather as an allusion to many members of a certain website we all know and love where everyone who buys a remington 700 and a couple cans of krylon is a self proclaimed "sniper"...

rjtfroggy
01-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Azredneck when you contact sss ask them about a pink laminated stock I am sure they either have a blank or can get it, if not get in touch with Stocky's also a sponsor here. I'm sure they would have it.

axaviere
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I should'nt even post this....
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/coloredbolts.jpg

can i just ask where did the bolt handles come from? are they tactical works?

Blue Avenger
01-11-2010, 10:06 PM
there "freds works" paint means you do not have to mirror polish them. He has them polished, painted or polish your own.

axaviere
02-16-2010, 01:47 AM
well the reason i asked was i just sent one back to a company cause it was really poorly thought out and didnt function as smoothly as the stock bolt handle. i didnt want to repeat that mistake. the handle i sent back looks like the one in the pictures.

McKinneyMike
02-16-2010, 07:59 AM
well the reason i asked was i just sent one back to a company cause it was really poorly thought out and didnt function as smoothly as the stock bolt handle. i didnt want to repeat that mistake. the handle i sent back looks like the one in the pictures.

I have yet to see or hear of anything that is associated with Fred Moreno or Sharp Shooter Supply as being anything less than perfect in every way. What ever you purchased was obviously not from Fred or SSS. All kidding aside, these folks are the best around for any and all Savage associated parts and/or service. Their reputation is no fluke and they are the best for anything Savage related. Just ask anyone on this forum or else where for that matter. They rock for Savage service and parts!

Deserthunter
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/UtahMike/coloredbolts-1.jpg

Getting excited?

Fred will you also do Remington 700 bolts? Cost?

sharpshooter
03-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Not at the moment, I'm too busy with Savage work.