PDA

View Full Version : Action differences

krackshot
12-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Hello new to the forum was hoping on help with a few questions. I am looking to build a long range rifle.
I am torn between a 12 LRP or a custom build. My question is are the LRP actions going to better than the
standard 10? Also I see northland has varmint actions in stock. Do these have the smaller ejection port like
the LRP action? Also anyone know if the HS stock that comes on the lrp, is that hs's standard varmint stock?
I am set on a repeater also if that helps.

J.Baker
12-30-2012, 06:57 PM
If you want a repeater just buy yourself a Model 12 LRP and swap out the barrel/magazine to suite whatever cartridge you're going to be shooting, or shoot the factory barrel until you can afford to switch to an aftermarket barrel. This way you get the HS stock setup for the DBM and the small port action it sounds like you would prefer.

Varmint actions are the same as the standard Model 10/11/12/14/16 actions with the large port
HS stock appears to be the same as used on the Model 12 LRPV so I'm guessing yes, its the same varmint profile with beavertail fore-end (very nice stock!)
Is the small port action better than the large port? That's kind of like asking if Chevy's are better than Ford's - everyone will have their own opinion and none of them are based on any kind of proven fact.

jpdown
12-30-2012, 07:18 PM
The LRP uses the target action with the smaller port and target Accutrigger. The varmint actions are Savage sandard CF actions with large factory BT bolt handle and varmint Accutrigger spring which allows you to adjust down to around 1.5 lb pull. They do not have the smaller port like the LRP. I've never have seen anyone claim or data showing a target action is meaurably better than a standard action. Get what you would prefer.

Stockrex
12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I asked the same few moons back, the short answer was "regular action is good enough" target action is a savage marketing idea.

krackshot
12-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Thankyou for the quick replies!

243LPR
12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Sorta depends on what cartridge you plan on stuffing in it.

krackshot
12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Im leaning towards .260/6.5x47 or one of the 6mm's. I'm also wondering if I'm going to run into COAL problems with some of the longer bullets.