PDA

View Full Version : Scope provlems

Pages : [1] 2

*tim*
12-29-2012, 07:33 PM
I bought a new 111 trophy hunter in 300win mag. It came with the Nikon scope. The original problem is it would be say 4in of so I would move it 2in and it would move about 10in. It would group great but any adjustments and it would throw things way off. The original scope rings seemed cheap and wouldn't stay tight so I bought some steal rings and put on. After a couple shots the scope just falls off. The screws were all still tight and I had to loosen them to put em back on the rails. After tightening everything back up and shot another box of shells i check and make sure everything tight. Three shots later it flys off again. What am I doin wrong?

jpdown
12-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Cheap scope, cheap bases and cheap rings with butt kicking rifle are not a good match. Good luck!

*tim*
12-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Its a nikon is that not good enough

J.Baker
12-30-2012, 12:35 AM
The factory supplied 2-piece bases aren't known to be of high quality - but they usually get the job done. Did you check to ensure the screws holding the bases on were tight? Typically they're just barely snugged from the factory. Next, what kind of rings did you buy? Got any pic's of the setup so we can see what we're working with and offering up advice on?

jpdown
12-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Maybe your not doing anything wrong. It is a Nikon base level package scope on a 300WM. Might be fine on a .22 or small caliber rifle. Sounds like you've already gone through a box or more of ammo and still can't get the scope to stay on the rifle, track properly or zeroed. Based on my experiences with entry level and even more expensive scopes, rings and bases, your going to be frustrated and burn up a lot of expensive ammo without much luck since it already sounds like the scope will not tracking properly and probably won't stayed zeroed from one outing to the next.

CJnWy
12-30-2012, 02:49 AM
Do the cross pins fit down in the slots? Do the bottom of the rings and the top of the mount sit flat with each other. My guess is you put tacticle rings on weaver mounts??

Blue Avenger
12-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Some of the rings intended for muzzle loaders also do not fit well. They looked good with the cross bar to fit in the slot, but the depth was wrong and they would not seat properly.

*tim*
12-30-2012, 02:53 PM
The new rings are warne maxima series steel rings. They don't have the cross bolt like the other rings have they just have two bolts from one side to the other

*tim*
12-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Something I just thought of on the new rings I tightened all four screws on each ring equally should I of tightened the two screws that tighten the rings to the base first then tighten the screws around the scope? And could this cause my problem

J.Baker
12-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Just so everyone's on the same page, these are the rings you have
http://shootersproshop.com/image/cache/data/Optics/Rings/warne%20maxima%20rings-500x500.jpg

I've never used these rings, but looking at them I would say it would be best to fully tighten the bottom screws first, then tighten up the top screws. I say this because the top is designed with a clear gap to be drawn up, while the bottom has no gap. Also, while you have the scope/rings off, make sure all 4 of your base screws are tight and that neither of the front two are bottoming out on the barrel shank or bolt head.

Blue Avenger
12-30-2012, 06:46 PM
these are the style if your base is not proper with a deep enough slot they will not set properly. My guess, there made for a picatinny base, not weaver base. Very slight difference.

jpdown
12-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Weaver Grand Slam or Warne Maxima steel bases work the best with these rings. It appears the cross slot key on the Maxima rings is not staying in place on the shallow cut bases used by Savage.

*tim*
12-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I just bought the bases that go with the new rings hopefully it all works out

*tim*
12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Just so everyone's on the same page, these are the rings you have
http://shootersproshop.com/image/cache/data/Optics/Rings/warne%20maxima%20rings-500x500.jpg

I've never used these rings, but looking at them I would say it would be best to fully tighten the bottom screws first, then tighten up the top screws. I say this because the top is designed with a clear gap to be drawn up, while the bottom has no gap. Also, while you have the scope/rings off, make sure all 4 of your base screws are tight and that neither of the front two are bottoming out on the barrel shank or bolt head.

Yes these are the new rings I have. I couldntbfigure how to add a pic of my phone.

*tim*
12-31-2012, 01:54 AM
well the scope is too short to work with the warne bases. they are the same style as the original bases but are alot better quality

J.Baker
12-31-2012, 03:54 AM
Ok, now you're just not making any sense. If the new bases are the same style as the originals (two-piece, single cross slot) and the scope is too short to work with the new bases, how in the hell did it fit on the original (identical style) bases? Maybe therein lies your problem.

*tim*
12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Ok, now you're just not making any sense. If the new bases are the same style as the originals (two-piece, single cross slot) and the scope is too short to work with the new bases, how in the hell did it fit on the original (identical style) bases? Maybe therein lies your problem.

The two sets of bases are the profile but on the original ones the front bases sticks out over the action about a half inch and the new ones stop at the edge of the action. Sorry if I'm confusing I don't know a whole lot about this stuff

jpdown
12-31-2012, 11:46 AM
The Weaver Grand Slam base S402 is an extended base and will give you the mounting flexibility you need for today's short tube scopes on a Savage LA. The Burris Tactical Xtreme bases give you the most ring mounting flexibility if you prefer 2-piece bases.

*tim*
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
The one piece looks sturdier but will I be OK with a 2 piece

jpdown
12-31-2012, 01:16 PM
I feel it is a matter of preference. Either type of bases in steel are a lot better than the factory bases that come on a package rifle. A one piece rail will give you the most scope mounting flexibility and the best ring alignment to avoid scope tube stress and damage if the receiver mounting holes are not true. I've used the Maxima rings in the past. They are very sturdy, high-quality steel rings.

I prefer 2-piece steel bases (Burris XT or Weaver GS) and use Burris Signature Zee rings and inserts to center the scope tube for maximium travel, to avoid tube damage and to minimize tube stress.