PDA

View Full Version : Model 25 scope options

George B
12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
I cannot wait for my new Model 25 Walking Varminter to arrive.
For the .223, any particular scopes and rings preferred?
Are Burris signature Zee's acceptable for centerfire?

thomae
12-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Many shooters on this forum really, really like the Burris Signature Zee rings. (to be fair, some don't - for various reasons)
I think everyone would agree that they are totally acceptable for use on a centerfire rifle.

J.Baker
12-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Scopes are always a personal thing - kind of like underwear. Some folks are perfectly happy with low-power fixed or variables (max under 6x), others prefer the standard 3-9x or 2.5-10x "do it all" hunting scope, some like a little more zoom on the high end and get a 3-12x, 4.5-14x or a 4-16x, and then you have those who simply can't get enough magnification and have to have 20x or more on the high end. A lot of it depends on what you'll mostly be using the rifle for, budget, desired features/reticle options, etc. The .223 to me is effectively a 300 yard round with typical varmint loads (50-60gr bullets) so really high magnification isn't as necessary as it would be on say a gun chambered for a cartridge more suitable for shooting 600 or 1,000 yards.

George B
12-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I was thinking of using the Burris Signature ZEE's with the Mueller APV. I presume the medium mounts would be good. Should I stick with the factory bases, or get a one-piece?

outback andy
12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
I purchased a Mueller and when I was sighting it on my .223 rifle at zero it jumped around on me twice, the next week I put a nikon on my rifle and at the
range I met a guy that was just sighting in his rifle with a Mueller for the first time, and you know what his rifle was doing the same thing to him. I bet you he
does not have a Mueller on his rifle now either...

J.Baker
01-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Mueller's were fairly decent scopes for the money when they first came on the scene back in 2003 or 2004 (or there-abouts). I had reviewed several and owned several (two Eradicators, a 4-16x , a 3-9x and a 2-7x Sport-Dot) and they offered pretty good glass and clarity for what they cost. While they all started out good, after about a year so I started having problems. A seal would fail and it would get milky (like looking through soap scum on a shower door), a lens came loose in one, and the illumination quit working on one of them. Mueller replaced each one under warranty, but after the forth one I'd learned my lesson.

I think I still have the 2-7x around here somewhere, but it hasn't been mounted on anything since 2004 or 2005. To me it's well worth spending a few bucks more to get a major brand and get the quality that goes with it. Bushnell Elite, Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, Burris, etc.

George B
01-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Perhaps I'll try a Vortex for this rifle.
Are the pre-installed mounts good with medium-height rings? Would the EGW one-piece mount (for the Model 25) be a better choice?

Thanks.

J.Baker
01-01-2013, 11:11 PM
The OEM bases are serviceable, but they're far from high quality. I myself prefer a 1-piece rail simply for the flexibility in ring placement that it offers. Probably not going to be a problem on a Model 25 given the actions short length, but when you get into the Axis and 10/110 actions it starts to become more of a necessity than a nicety.