PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis Help

Icyminnesota
12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Just got a Savage Axis .223. From what I have read great rifle. But looking for a higher capacity mag other then 4. Anyone know where to get one. I seen a guy RatMag custom make mags but not for .223 from what I have read. Putting a Center Point 4x16 40mm scope on it. Should be a great shooter after I get it dialed in. Just want a larger clip. Any help or tips on this gun would be great. Thanks

sharpshooter
12-29-2012, 12:27 AM
If you want more than 4, put another round in it. It will hold 5.

Icyminnesota
12-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Well I was thinking of more than just one round. Would like 8 or 10 rounds. Thanks

mattm0812
12-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Delete

Icyminnesota
12-29-2012, 01:00 AM
I am new to this a little. What is a BAR magazine and a DBM? Thanks and Sorry for the question.

mattm0812
12-29-2012, 03:27 AM
I am new to this a little. What is a BAR magazine and a DBM? Thanks and Sorry for the question.

Nevermind,

Disregard what I said.

sixonetonoffun
12-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Icyminnesota
BAR Browning Automatic Rifle
DBM Detachable Box Magazine

From what Gmac (Gunsmith who shares an interest in Axis rifles) says it would be easiest to use a M1a/Mini 14 type of mag because it is center feed already and as pointed out in another thread you will have to add a special latch but that is all. Expensive and not cost effective to convert to a RatMag. Also the plastic mag latch isn't designed to hold the extra weight.

On the other hand just buy an extra mag 2x5=10 but the accuracy falls off once the barrel heats up because it is a lightweight hunting barrel. Intended to make only a few shots at a time. Most accurate shot placement would require an 8 min interval between shots. Plenty of time to swap mags.

I am planning to make the conversion but have been busy with the holiday probably looking at a February project. If the parts are still available then. Shoot the crap out of it and enjoy it for what it is: An inexpensive surprisingly accurate rifle that is fun to shoot and lightweight to carry in the field.

You found the right place to look for information and tips to get the most out of your rifle. Take your time read through the forums and before you know it your $300 Savage will be shooting like a $2500 dollar rifle.

Icyminnesota
12-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks. That was great info. I did purchase 2 spare mags. Got them for $31.99 each. Cabelas is having their employee discount sale if you are a Cabelas visa member. In case anyone is interested and if that is a good price.

devildogandboy
12-29-2012, 11:04 AM
It will NOT work for a 223 . Just buy another fact mag , if your like the look of an extended mag ,just glue the othe mag on upside down ,that way you get 9 rounds and the look you want.

you just might start a new fad with the two mags glued together!

fla9-40
12-31-2012, 08:45 PM
if you want more than 4, put another round in it. It will hold 5.

ROFLMAO!!! :biggrin-new:

sixonetonoffun
01-04-2013, 04:38 AM
I just ordered 2 M1a/Ruger mini 14 .223/10 round mags guess I'll figure out one way or the other. Wanted to get them while they were available the larger ones are pretty much either pulled from the market or sold out. 10 should be ideal for the average zombie attack. I spose I could always tape them together wonder if Gmac was a fan of Duck Tape or Gorilla Tape?

If it works out I might have to try the .308 for my girls rifles. Be a fun family project. Anyone tried using the AICS mags for short actions? Kinda $pendy but they look stronger and better built then many of the other aftermarket mags.

J.Baker
01-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Most anything can be made or modified to work if/when you throw enough time, money and expertise at it. Just look at NASA in the 1960's as a perfect example.

RatMag
01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Also the plastic mag latch isn't designed to hold the extra weight.

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. In fact, the 270 magazine that I built, holds 17 rounds and is doing just fine.

DK

s2mikey
02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. In fact, the 270 magazine that I built, holds 17 rounds and is doing just fine.

DK

Hey - I have the 270 Axis and I want one of these mags! How easy/hard was it to build? Im not the overly "handy" type. ;)