PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II G Stock Question

APP1977
12-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone,

New to the site and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I have a Savage MkII G and want to bring up the lustre of the factory stock.
Is the stock finished with a synthetic or lacquered finish, and does anyone have any tips?

I don't want to re-stain or colour the stock, just bring out the natural beauty that's already there.

Thanks,

Aaron

Underdog
12-30-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't know what type of finish is on the stock from the factory. But I have good success with an automotive product called "Maguires ScratchX" used on rifle stocks it brings out the hidden beauty of the wood and polished it up nice. Put a small amount on a dry soft rag and rub onto the surface of the stock, it works wonders. It "does not" leave a dull finish, it makes the finish look highly polished but very nice. Try it on an old stock first and see how you like it.

APP1977
12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the advice Underdog, I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes!

Have a great New Year!

J.Baker
01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Finish is just a spray on semi-gloss stain. It's very thin and not absorbed into the surface of the wood much at all.

APP1977
01-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks for your help Gentlemen!

I've tried a very fine automotive cut and polishing compound, and it's worked really well!

Thanks again,

Aaron

Underdog
01-01-2013, 06:32 PM
I bought a Mark II G a while back and got tired of the factory finish. I removed the stock and sanded it all down, and under the factory finish is a very attractive blond wood. I then put several coats of true oil to protect it, and it came out looking very nice. I put it all back together and mounted a Mueller APV scope and you would never know it was the same rifle.

J.Baker
01-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Most Savage wood stocks are just non-figured, plane-Jane Maple. Only the Model 14's and the special order Model 116 SE (safari express) rifles come with Walnut. And then the laminates of course.

homerduck
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
I know I'm a bit late to the party but I wanted to add to it. +1 for the Scratch X. I have used it in my new Henry and on my Boyd's nutmeg laminate for my Mark II. It really does work great! I also cleaned up and made my 1952 Rem 550-1 shine like the original stock. But I finish the stock work by applying a couple of rounds of carnuba wax. The Scratch X has polished it. Now the carnuba will help protect it.

diesel
02-12-2013, 01:22 AM
+1 on the True Oil, 000 steel wool and 4 coats, you'd think you had a Wearthby