PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount and rings

sacher
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi guys,

I am sorry for another scope mount and rings topic but I am to inexpedience to decide on what I read here already.

The rifle I have is a Savage 110FP heavy barrel (year of manufacture: 1997 - no accu trigger and I think it is a long action) in .308 Winchester and left hand. It has an internal magazine.

Now I am getting a scope for the rifle an I need a scope base and rings.

I want really good stuff, because I will use the rifle for hunting in the mountains.

So I have three questions:

1. Which are the best scope bases and rings for this rifle?
Please provide me with a link.

2. I am considering the scope mounts offered by http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/, but I would like to have a Picatinny style base because I think it is better. Am I right or wrong?

3. The other question is if I get problems loading the weapon with a 1 piece base as it has an internal magazine?

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Senderofan
01-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Sacher:

I'm no expert....I've got two rimfire Savages and one centerfire...will be adding another Savage shortly..to the collection of Remington's etc. But...I bought a Ferrell one piece base from SSS and have been thoroughly pleased. I have said in the past...it easily compares to my NightForce one piece base and a Badger Ord. base....both of which are nearly double the price of the Farrell. I've read others here that have had really good experience with EGW: http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=39_128&sort=20a&page=5

Don't know about EGW rings...But their tactical ones sound extremely well built. With rings...try and stick with the better names...and I would think you'd be well served. Try not to get sucked in to no-name generic type units...don't risk messing up your scope.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.

I don't have a problem loading the internal magazine on my .308....with the Ferrell one piece base.

sacher
01-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Dear Senderofan,

thanks a lot for the information.

Keeping this in mind I will order from SSS.

One last Question can someone describe the difference between the Farrell and the burris rings? Which should I favor?

Thanks

Senderofan
01-07-2010, 06:59 PM
The Ferrell are precision machined....the Burris is some other process that affords them to sell at a much lower cost. For me...I don't mind spending extra for the rings...I feel less chance of damage to the scope. With the better base and rings...I haven't had the need to lap the rings...knock on wood. Having said that...I have Burris rings on my rimfires....but the scopes on those rifles are on the lower end of the cost spectrum.

Good Luck,

Wayne

lwink
01-07-2010, 09:02 PM
+1 for EGW bases -- have them on all my Savages, although you can't go wrong with the Farrel either. I have a couple sets of Burris XTR rings and love them -- the lows will mount about any scope up to and including 50mm obj, think about mediums if you have a 56mm. I did lap them, but the guy I installed them with also laps his Nightforce rings, so it was more of habit than necessity.