PDA

View Full Version : Comments on this stock / Where to find a good stock

300magman
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I am currently planning to do a few savage builds and need to figure out what stocks I want to use.
For my varmint rig I think I've decided to copy the Winchester Model 70 Coyote Light, as the one I handled felt very comfortable, light, and "pointable"...its also a very good looking gun, in my opinion.

I decided to copy the look, and weight/balance specs in a savage build rather than buying the winchester because I currenly own a model 70 Coyote Outback (basically the same gun, but with a slightly heavier laminate stock) and I'm not really happy with how it shoots (0.9-1MOA at best with the ammo I've tried so far) and the safetly requires an ungainly 15lbs of pressure to engage...so, there will be no more winchesters for me.

Now more to the point, I see Bell and Carlson make the stock..its very light, yet seems solid with its full length "skeletonized" aluminum bedding block. As I don't yet have a savage, to tear down and compare, I can't tell for myself if the actions are similar enough to make this stock work for me....if a light amount of working the stock followed by glass bedding will get the savage in there, that would be perfect.

Better yet, perhaps someone makes a nearly identical stock that Will fit a savage? Or can Bell and Carlson offer this stock to fit actions besides the Win model 70.

Here is a link for anyone that wants to take a look: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535115

Fjold
01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Changing the stock from the Winchester inletting to fit a Savage would require a lot of work. The Winchester has a flat bottomed receiver with a integral recoil lug and totally different action screw spacing, trigger and magazine assembly cutouts.

300magman
01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Sounds like I need to find another lightweight, aluminum framed stock then...any suggestions? I suppose I could actually use an accustock, but they seem to lack a bit of style. (At least the ones I've seen)
Does the Accustock come in a varmint design or just a sporter profile? ... and how are they reviewing in general...are they plenty stiff and light?

jdg
01-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I have a B&C Tactical Medalist A1 stock on my Rem700, way nicer than the SPS Varmint stock that it replaced. Stock is rigid, great fit, only $200, can be had in a sporter, varmint, tactical configuration.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-700/Detail

300magman
01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
So many nice stocks...none that look perfect :(
The grip on the Bell and Carlson A5 looks like a nice fit, and the adjustable comb would be great, but its not offered for a savage (as far as I can tell) and the cut out flat bottom of the butt section is less than ideal for me.
The A2 doesn't have as pronounced a grip as I would like, and might benefit from a small to medium butt hook....the same for the H-S Precision M24 Verticle Grip Varmint Tactical. And neither has any adjustability.

I wonder, what would happen to the A2 or M24 if I started sanding away at them to make small adjustments to the grip or a butt hook....would I forever destroy the appearance and are they solid or hollow? IF a fine grit sandpaper (and maybe some kind of finishing product) could bring back a near factory finish appearance that would be a big plus.

But is there a way to add adjustability into these stocks? I really think with my high mounts and huge scope that the factory comb is likely to come up short for a good cheek weld.

camoman83
01-11-2010, 06:25 PM
300 mag with the right stuff you can refrom the BC scocks in several ways alot of people just use bondo and sand papper sand to finish and paint it with several differnt products or types of paints every thing to krulon(sp?) alumihide II from brownells, or if you realy want to get fancy get an air brush amd use Dura Coat. If you want send me a pm and I will be happy to tell you what little i have done and what i have learned from time to time
Matt

kslefty
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Joel Russo will make whatever you want with your blank or his. If you want composite try stockade.