PDA

View Full Version : Long Action 22-250 build

Blitzfike
12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
I had a 270 long action with accutrigger that I used as the donor for my 22-250 build. A used barrel from the world of ebay and a little work and I am very pleased with the results. I had to use aluminum jaws in my barrel vise to hold it well enough to break the barrel nut loose, but that was the only problem. I used a go gauge to set headspace, it is just a little tight but I like it like that. My trip to the range resulted in a 5 shot group measuring less than 3/8ths of an inch at 30 yards. Too darn cold to continue, I will do more testing as weather permits. The long action feeds the short 22-250 cartridges very well. I'm shooting home made 224 cal bullets made from 22 rimfire cases using the corbin die set, set to 57.5 grains weight, as that is what my Stevens 200 likes best in 223. The only issue is that the standard barrel stamping has rotated to the right side of the receiver with the headspace set as I have it. (Makes it upside down for reading) As I get a chance to refine it, I'll post more. Bitzfike

acemisser
12-26-2012, 06:13 PM
yes pictures are great.If you have the head space too tight
I have found that sometimes,factory ammo will not fit..But
since I reload my own,I don't get to concerned over it..

Blitzfike
12-26-2012, 09:53 PM
I had just boresited the scope with a laser kit, had it dead on for windage, I'll have to see what adjustment I have to make at 100 yards when the wind and ice subside a little.
I will post some pictures when I get a chance. This was my first experience doing a Savage 10/110 barrel swap and I must say its a lot easier than a conventional rifle like
Winchester or Remington. I was already sold on the Savage/Stevens world without the gunsmithing aspect of it. I have a Stevens 200 in 223 that is a tack driver even without
the accutrigger. I have done some precision shooting with a Savage in 204 ruger, I have one in 270 and another in 7mm Remington Magnum. The 270 is one of the older
actions with the flat rear receiver. I originally was going to use it for this build, but it is a non accutrigger and not a newer round receiver, so since I shoot less 270 than
anything else, it remained in safe queen status and I used the newer 270 for the build. No problem with feeding the shorter cartridge, everything works well. It does have
a synthetic stock. Blitzfike