PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 308 tooling needed

Pages : 1 [2]

devildogandboy
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Progressive presses are only really acceptable if you're loading pistol, because you can punch out 500 rounds an hour.

If you're just loading for rifle, you don't want to rush through the process.

i agree with matt, i have the dillon 550 and use it mostly for pistol rounds anymore. for rifle rounds i am now using the Lee Classic which works fine. i have had 2 rock chuckers in the past and they worked well also.

acemisser
12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
I used winchester for a long time in a dpms 308 and it shot fine but when I wanted to shoot 60 at the X-ring they were just not getting me there. I have improved my brass preperation as well. If you like Winchester, use 'em. If you are not getting the groups you like work on your case prep, if that doesn't get you there try a different primer.

What is a dpms 308 ? I use a lot of winchester brass as well as remington...they both work well......what number post is this? lol

thermaler
12-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Aren't Hornady presses limited to their own dies?

missed
12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Aren't Hornady presses limited to their own dies?

As far as I know they use the standard thread now. I ended up getting the lee press, but brownells is so buried up right now my order still has not processed.

thermaler
12-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I used winchester for a long time in a dpms 308 and it shot fine but when I wanted to shoot 60 at the X-ring they were just not getting me there. I have improved my brass preperation as well. If you like Winchester, use 'em. If you are not getting the groups you like work on your case prep, if that doesn't get you there try a different primer.

My DPMS LRT SASS has never liked anything Winchester for some reason

thermaler
12-30-2012, 09:20 AM
As far as I know they use the standard thread now. I ended up getting the lee press, but brownells is so buried up right now my order still has not processed.That's why my go-to on-line store is Midway--they almost always ship within 24 hours upon order. I also like the fact they don't jerk you around on stock status--they show at time of order whether or not it's in stock. I recently made an order through a very large and popular on-line firearms manufacturer and equipment distributor who shall remain nameless but they charged my card at time of order, indicated order was processing and accepted expedited shipping charges. Weeks went by and I was informed status is not revealed until order actually ships. Essentially, the item was not in stock at the time of order but was processed anyway and my card charged--so I watch out for that now.

I'm a beginner and just started using the Lee press and it works great--but I've also ended up spending a lot of coin on after-market stuff to supplement the kit. I suppose that some of the more "big name" kits probably are competitive in price point to the Lee once you figure in the quality of the stuff that comes with them. My opinion is neither here nor there since I'm a novice reloader--but so far I've been most impressed with RCBS dies, though they all get the job done.

missed
12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Brownells was about $40 cheaper for everything, I called midway to see if they would match the price and they needed a manager to do it and they were going to have to call me back, I think everyone is just completely buried up right now.

thermaler
12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Brownells was about $40 cheaper for everything, I called midway to see if they would match the price and they needed a manager to do it and they were going to have to call me back, I think everyone is just completely buried up right now.

Yeah, Brownell's is good--but the way I see it by the time you're done with packing and shipping on time it's a wash. Midway is the best in this regard IMO. And their prices are generally very competitive.