PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Help Identify Stevens Double Barrel 16 Gauge

chopper007
01-06-2010, 01:34 AM
I have a 16 gauge double barrel shotgun I got from my Grandfather.Serial # T58430.It say's Springfield Arms Company,Chicopee Falls,Mass,U.S.A. on the side of the receiver.On the bottom of the receiver it has the letter I in a small circle.On the inside of the receiver it has a lower case "b" stamped on it.The barrels are 27 1/2" long and say 16 gauge with no other writing on them.The barrels that I have seen say "proof tested" or "steel forged",this one dose not.There is no model # (311,315 etc.) and no other visible markings..It has a wood stock and forend with no checkering.I know that it is a utility grade shotgun that could be bought at any hardware store at the time.From what I have found,the gun was made in 1957.But going by when my grandfather passed away,I don't think that is right.Any help?Thanks.

brian.243
01-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Do you have any pictures? Also look on the bottom of the recevier in front of the trigger guard for a model number could be there very small.

Mad Dog
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Curious as to what makes you think it was made in 57? What kind of onformation did you find?

The letters you found are either inspectors marks or assembly marks, not date codes. A date code will be in an oval circle with a number and a letter inside them. Not even sure Savage was making the Springfield shotguns when your gun was made.

chopper007
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Thank's for the response.There was no mark or anything in front of the trigger guard.I had found on another web sight that said the letter with the circle on the bottom of the receiver meant what year it was made.Mine had the I,which meant 1957.Different letters meant the DOM.Example=A-1949,B-1950,C-1951 etc. I didn't think that was right,thought they were assembly,handling or some other type of marks.I will try to post some pictures.

Mad Dog
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
The other site was correct but they didn't go into very much detail on the datecode. And if there saying it's in front of the trigger guard I'm guessing you were on a site and they were talking about Savage 99's.

They failed to say that there is a number in the circle with the letter to make it a date code. Wannabe's.