PDA

View Full Version : SS scopes

rjtfroggy
01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
A point of interest for those looking for a new scope. SWFA is about to come out with a 6x fixed power to go along with the 10x 16x 20x at the same price level.
They are also coming out with a new variable maybe 4.8x20, to go along with the 3x9 no mention of price.
These will be 2 new scopes to an already outstanding line of optics that are worth alot more than the selling price.
Go to www.opticstalk.com and read about them.

pa hog
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Yep,I wonder if they also will have mushy clicks and sad glass like the rest of their line-up

dcloco
01-05-2010, 07:55 PM
.....and too thick of crosshairs.

pa hog
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Oh ya, that too!

davemhughes
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Yep,I wonder if they also will have mushy clicks and sad glass like the rest of their line-up

You think, that's not good to hear as I have one arriving tomorrow. This is actually the only negative info I have seen is on this site. I read review after review before my purchase and they all said they were well worth the money. I guess I will see tomorrow.

pa hog
01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I've had two and seen quite a few more, IMHO the 10x Bushnell Elite 3200 is much better scope, and the Vipers are much better for almost the same money. 5 years ago they may have been a good buy but not anymore.

Uncle Jack
01-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Come on, guys, don't sugar coat it like that.

uj

Smokey262
01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
In summer of 2008 a guy at the range was showing me his new savage and it was equipped with the 10x SS. He was very proud of both. I asked him if I could look through the SS and he said yes.

I thought that it was bright, but very sensitive to where your eye needs to be to see a full view.

rjtfroggy
01-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Not defending anyone but as far as mushy clicks go there are post over there that state all that is needed is to run the adjustments through a complete cycle, up/down, left/right a few times and it disperses the grease and clears up the problem. Personally I own 4 of them and have not had the problem, mine are loud and firm.
On the glass, there are a few there that are optics people and they put the glass on par with much more expensive scopes. Some place them with scopes costing in the $1300 range, which is not bad considering they only cost $300-$600 depending on what you buy.
I have had a couple of medium dollar range scopes$500-$700 and to be honest I like my 20x ss scopes a lot more, they are brighter and much more durable holding zero no matter what.
Everyone has an opinion and this is mine.

davemhughes
01-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Well my SS arrived today. Like a poster said it is sensitive as to where your eye is at to get a full view. I think the optic are bright and clear, much better than the Vortex scope I just took off. The turrets were crisp and firm when running through the full ranges. It appears to be solid construction. I put the new EGW 0 MOA base on and mounted it with SS rings, then capped it with Butler Creek covers. Of course as it always seems, it never fails, I dropped it 5 minutes after I opened the box, looks to be no harm no foul.

All in all I am very pleased with my initial opinion of it and consider it money well spent.