PDA

View Full Version : Time to re-factor the scope allocation.

r3dn3ck
12-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Ok, I have 3 grades of gun: Mine, My backups, Loaners. My primary guns get better equipment and shot less. My backups get slightly less great equipment and shot more. My loaners git what they git and they don't throw a fit because they're for loan to people who haven't shown that they can take care of my things yet (not that they've shown the opposite but just not shown that they can quite yet)

I have recently sold off my Bushnell Yardage-Pro 4-12x42 laser rangefinding mil-dot scope for various reasons not the least of which were the incredible weight of the thing and the limited vertical adjustment range (35MOA total). With the proceeds I got a pair of one of my favorite scopes, Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 Mil-Dot. They're argon purged, have great glass and 100MOA of vertical adjustment. The fixed 10x is a preference of mine which is sort of handed down from my pops who was an "operator" some eons ago and took a liking to them. No variable magnification makes for less math and eliminates the FFP/SFP and fattening crosshairs issues altogether. It's also a very compact setup when there's no variable magnification.

So down to brass tacks, I have a few rifles that need scopes tended to. See if anyone can find a more efficient way to mix and match.... at least until I scrape together the next batch of several hundred bucks and buy another good scope.

Winchester M70. 28" heavy bbl. 7mm Rem Mag. 20MOA base. (former wearer of the Bushnell Yardage-Pro). Adding ET1040 to it on Burris Zee rings w/ 0MOA eccentrics. This is a tactical rifle with a heavy barrel and 1.5lbs trigger break.(Mine)

Savage 110. 26" sporter bbl. 7mm Rem Mag. 20MOA base. Currently has Simmons 3-9x32. (My Backup)

Remington 770 (say what you want, it's actually a hell of a rifle other than the junk stock) 24" bbl. 7mm Rem Mag. Currently Tasco 3-9x50 on 0MOA base. (Loaner)

AR-15 18" heavy barrel 6x45 (6mm-.223). 30MOA base/riser. BSA Sweet .223 6-18x. (Mine)

Ithaca X5 .22lr semi-auto tube fed. Currently has no scope. (mine+loaner)

So I'm thinking of doing the following:
Take the Simmons 3-9x32 off the Savage 7mag and put it on the Ithaca X5 .22lr.
Put one ET1040 on the Winchester M70.
Take the BSA Sweet-.223 off my AR-15 and put it on the Savage 7mag (BDC doesn't match but I never trust or use BDC turrets, only calculated&observed dope from my dope books)
Take the 2nd ET1040 and put it on the AR-15.
Leave the Tasco 3-9x50 on the Remington 770.

Thoughts? There's a lot of change going on in this equipment upgrade but it's not the last equipment update. Just going from cheap/nearly-free optics to decent optics to good optics as the capabilities of the gun dictates and trying to not blow a 6ft wide hole in my budget. I still intend on my loaner guns having lower end glass than my personal guns but that's because I'm the only one that is allowed to break my expensive toys.

BTW... I picked up both ET1040's for less than 400 bucks shipped. I got the Tasco 3-9x50 for 20 bucks. The BSA Sweet .223 was 50 bucks. The Simmons 3-9x32 was free. All rifles except my .22lr wear either a 20MOA or 30MOA base and I use only Burris Zee rings. All my rifles normally get 100yrds initial zeros and since I like to be able to use all the effective supersonic range if I want, the canted bases are usually equipped even if I use the Zee rings to zero the angle of the dangle out. I have other rifles and other scopes but this is the batch that needs attention the most drastically, so please keep the commentary on topic.