PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 308 bore snake for break in? Also possible mag issue

Pages : [1] 2

bhunter
12-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Guys I just got my new 308 a few days ago and plan to sight it in and break in barrel on wednesday. Was wondering if anyone has done a barrel break in using a boresnake to clean the barrel? Also I noticed that I may have an issue with the supplied magazine. When I put more then two bullets in the mag they pop out through the top....Im pretty sure this isnt normal.

acemisser
12-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Myself-I wouldn't use a bore snake..I never run any brush's thru my barrels..Only a bore mop soaked with cleaner and dry patch's..

When at home I use the foam bore cleaner-Break Free...or Wipe Out...What brand of rifle is this that the shells will not stay in the clip..

Excuse me.I see it is a model 10..No clue without looking at it...

Dennis
12-24-2012, 08:51 AM
I agree with aemisser, I use wipe out with great results. I may run a bronze brush through every now and then, but that's it. Bore smake is not recommended unless your in the field and have dirt or something in the barrel.

stangfish
12-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Many of us believe the factory barrels shoot better fouled but it never hurts to start with Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner after a few hundred rounds. If you have the funds a coated or composite type cleaning rod with the bearings in the handle is great. Use a jag and push your "Tipton" cotton patches through the breach end using a good cleaner. Numbr 9 works fine. Make sure your cleaning rod is long enough to remove the patch when it comes out the muzzle end. Finish up by using a smidgen of light oil on a patch before you put her away(required for a carbon steel barrel), and run a dry patch or two through it before you shoot it the next time you take her out.

I don't like the harsh spray solvents due to the potential for it to attack plastics, paints and such but there are some good products out there if you just have to. Also a good bore guide is a beatiful thing. Always use care when cleaning a rifle bore. You can do damage that affects acuracy before you know it.

bhunter
12-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys. I read the barrel break in instructions on the savage site. I will proceed with that barrel break in, unless there is a better method.

darkker
12-24-2012, 11:07 AM
unless there is a better method.
"Better" only means something to you, it means something entirely different to me....

I DO NOT do any form of "break-in". My 10fp STILL shoots MOA at 1,000 yards, That rifle has more than 3,000 rounds fired.
THAT is "Better" to me, because I don't waste time and materials on cleaning, when I should be shooting.

davemuzz
12-24-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree with aemisser, I use wipe out with great results. I may run a bronze brush through every now and then, but that's it. Bore smake is not recommended unless your in the field and have dirt or something in the barrel.

+1

And I may add that if I'm hungry, and eat dirt.....I use the bore snake on me in the field. But then....I usually leave the bore snake on top of the "pile" as it's difficult to get the snake really clean when that happens.

bhunter
12-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Is CLP a good product for cleaning the barrel/removing copper? Its amazing to me how there are so many different opinions on barrel break in. Some say it works, some say its a waste of time/effort. What products would I need to clean barrel(fouling), and Copper removal?

bhunter
12-24-2012, 04:17 PM
"Better" only means something to you, it means something entirely different to me....

I DO NOT do any form of "break-in". My 10fp STILL shoots MOA at 1,000 yards, That rifle has more than 3,000 rounds fired.
THAT is "Better" to me, because I don't waste time and materials on cleaning, when I should be shooting.

What kind of groups at 100 yards?

acemisser
12-24-2012, 04:25 PM
One question that I have always pondered is HOW does one know when the
barrel is broken? I have read where some say well,it's broke in now...Just
how can you tell..I got to shoot my new McGowin barrel this morning in 223

I shot 2 shots and cleaned with solvent and clean patchs..I did this up to 5
rounds..So DOES mean it is broke in..??

ellobo
12-24-2012, 05:08 PM
The golden rule seems to be "shoot it until accuracy drops off then clean it". Everyone seems to be sidetracked on cleaning and no one answered your question about the magazine. I have no clue so hopefully someone will finaly chime in on that one.

El Lobo

mattm0812
12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
The golden rule seems to be "shoot it until accuracy drops off then clean it". Everyone seems to be sidetracked on cleaning and no one answered your question about the magazine. I have no clue so hopefully someone will finaly chime in on that one.

El Lobo

But when thinking accuracy could be off, it could be the shooter, the ammo, or the barrel itself.

So I don't think that rule applies unless you're using ammo you know for a fact works.

acemisser
12-24-2012, 05:36 PM
who came up with that stupid golden rule..Some Arbanian Goat Humper...If you were talking 22 rim that I might agree but for copper I have to say that is a load of crapola

mattm0812
12-24-2012, 05:39 PM
who came up with that stupid golden rule..Some Arbanian Goat Humper...If you were talking 22 rim that I might agree but for copper I have to say that is a load of crapola

I think it's when you look down the barrel and you can barely see out the other side because it's filled with so much copper...THEN it's time to clean.

fgw_in_fla
12-24-2012, 05:55 PM

I just spit coffee all over the computer.

Thanks Ace.... I needed the laugh but not the clean up.

fgw_in_fla
12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Caliber notwithstanding, if accuracy starts to drop off with known accurate ammo, cheapest, quickest easiest check is removal the carbon build up & 40 or 50 layers of copper. If I don't swab my 223wssm after 15 - 20 rounds it wanders all over the target. 25.06 likes clean or dirty. .243 hates a clean barrel in fact, I can't ever remember having to swab the pipe due to accuracy inconsistancies.
And on & on.

They're like women. Each one has it's own unique personality.... All of them will drive you crazy & you'll NEVER out guess them.

Have fun & Merry Christmas.

acemisser
12-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Frank.....You know the rules-no food or drink around the key board...

acemisser
12-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Seriously now...Is this a used or new rifle? If used,it is possible someone changed the spring in the mag..

Or the top of the mag has been bent out of shape..Just guessing here.I hope you get it figured out..

jibben
12-24-2012, 09:37 PM
you come to shoot or stroke your barrel? cleaning is over rated.

darkker
12-24-2012, 11:33 PM
What kind of groups at 100 yards?

I couldn't tell you for certain. The last time I shot at 100 yards with that gun, was many years ago.
When I started chasing small groups at 1,000 yards, I found that what "was" at less then 500 yards, didn't really mean poop at 1K.
One of the reasons I find it funny when people post up talk of 300+ yards shooting, but give groups from 100. If you brag about your ability at any distance, then give groups at that amount.
My dirty 308 will throw 10-12" groups at the 1K mark without fanfare, that is a 5-shot group NOT 3.