PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Problem for new member & new to bolt-action

CeroTu0
12-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Hello all,
From what I have read so far this seems to be a very respectful and helpful community - thank you for letting me join.

I bought a new Savage 22 lr RASCAL youth today for my son (first Savage in the family!). He is not old enough to shoot yet, but this seemed to be a great rifle to help learn responsibility, safety, and fundamental shooting.

My problem is that while I am a shooter I have very little experience with rimfire weapons and NO experience with bolt action rifles (which is why I had planned on finding us both an instructor). The weapon will be locked up, so I decided to insert the bolt. I am not sure how, but the firing pin seems to be cocked and the bolt cannot be fully inserted. The RASCAL has a one piece bolt, and I have had no luck finding instructions in the manual or online to correct this problem (probably because most people know better than to do this).

Even though he is a few years off from using the rifle, I would love to have him unwrap a functional (and safe) gift in the next few days. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you!

Apache
12-20-2012, 08:44 PM
I can not answer specifically to that particular rifle but many bolt action 22's you have to pull the trigger as you insert the bolt into place. Might try that.

CeroTu0
12-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I can not answer specifically to that particular rifle but many bolt action 22's you have to pull the trigger as you insert the bolt into place. Might try that.

Thank you for the reply. I actually am pulling the trigger which allows the bolt to partially insert. The problem is that what I believe is called the "striker retainer screw" is not alligned, and will not allow the bolt to go in all of the way. I am not sure how to get that back into its proper place. Sorry, I should have clarified earlier. Thanks again.

Apache
12-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Sorry, I was hoping it would help you...I don't have any Savage rimfires only centerfires.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question that has this rifle.

1S1K
12-21-2012, 01:54 AM
Why don't you just call Savage. The phone number is is the instruction manual.
HOLD THE PHONE !!!!
I just remembered I have a toll free number (if it still works).
Savage Customer Service: 1-800-370-0708
Hope this helps.

Jim

CeroTu0
12-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Thank you for the reply 1S1K. Your phone number: 1-800-370-0708, does still work. For me to speak to a live representative, however, I had to call: 413-568-7001

They have very specific hours, so please take note.

The solution was actually very simple, and one I had already tried; but I felt like I was going to break the bolt. The operator told me simply, "Push the retaining pin's bolt back into the correct position by pressing it really hard against a table. It might even feel like it is about to break." Well sure enough, that was all it needed. I just have a history of actually breaking things when trying to set them right, so I wanted to be informed this time around.

Thank you all for the input and the welcomes.

Apache
12-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Glad you got it fixed......but we expect a full range report! :p;)

JCalhoun
01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Cero;

We are you located? We have members from all over and somebody may be close enough to help with your questions and show how to use the rifle.