PDA

View Full Version : Help, question for those who change barrels

dolomite_supafly
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I have a question for those of you who change barrels.

How often do you actually use a ratchet or torque wrench in the 1/2" drive holes in the barrel nut wrench when replacing barrels?

Also, what is the spec for the barrel nut on a 1.06 barrel?

Thanks
Dolomite

358Hammer
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Is there a square hole in my nut wrench? Never!
All of my after market barrels have a class 3 thread so two threads in and there is zero play.

In Spec I am going to guess you mean how tight do you tighten the nut. Personal to me only, I tighten the nut so that it cannot be removed by hand only. The nut is simply a lock nut, keeping the barrel where its suppose to be.

Neal

Dirk
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Never, as Neal said.

wapaloose
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Only 2 times on new guns to get the nut loose, The rest of time they are for hanging on wall.

pdog06
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
you must have the wheeler wrench.

I have a SSS wrench with no 1/2"drive holes. I do as Neal does, just tighten it enough to stay tight.Never had one come loose or change headspace.

wapaloose
01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
McRee's, Got from Northlander- Real nice and not soft.

Smokepole
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I have the SSS wrench w no drive holes. But I do whack it w a steel hammer both loosening and tightening the nuts. It's not the best practice, but I guess I'm comfortable with it. The nut is not just there to serve as a jam nut or lock nut no matter the thread fit. In the sticky up top about this subject I went into detail about it near the end of the thread.

dolomite_supafly
01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't have any wrenches yet. I am actually having one made that is a little different that the standard one everybody sells. I am doing this just to be different and to see if my idea works.

I should have pictures within a week and I'll post them then.

Dolomite

Slowpoke Slim
01-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't use a torque wrench on mine. I do give it a "medium" whack (not anywhere near what the factory does to put them on though!) with a dead blow hammer to torque it when tightening the nut.

LG
01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I never used a torque wrench in the 1/2" drive holes either. I whack the nut wrench with a mallet to remove the barrel. And to install a barrel, I tighten the nut by hand, then I give the nut wrench an extra push, also by hand.

dolomite_supafly
01-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I spoke with the machinist and told him to leave out the hole for a drive based on everybody's experiences.

Thanks guys

Dolomite