PDA

View Full Version : Machining brake threads off of barrel

Cramer06
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
I need some advice about a barrel I might be getting. It's a 26 inch heavy stainless .204 barrel that's threaded for a brake. Since I don't want a brake, i'm considering having it turned down and crowned. Will the little bit of length removed affect anything? I can make some calls tomorrow, but any idea what it might cost?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

geargrinder
12-19-2012, 12:49 AM
It won't affect much. It won't cost much either, I bet you'll only get charged for the crown job.

You could also just get a thread protector and forget that it's there. It will keep up the resale value of the barrel.

BillPa
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Will the little bit of length removed affect anything?

Some years ago I shortened a factory 204 barrel from 26" to 22". Using the same loadings it averaged 78 fps less velocity. It also agg'd better, but that could have been more to the new crown than the length. Dunno.

Bill

Nandy
12-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Use a tread protector, dont cut it, it is an enhancement to the barrel.

Russell D
12-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Use a tread protector, dont cut it, it is an enhancement to the barrel.

I agree, I thread protector will cost much less than how much it would cost to have it properly shortened and crowned!

Cramer06
12-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Maybe this thread will help the next guy. I ended up just getting my money back, so I'm back on the market for a barrel.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2