PDA

View Full Version : Which Stockade Stock?

Pages : [1] 2

jsthntn247
12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I need a new stock for my 7mag. I am torn between the Prarie Dog or the Elk Stalker. Gun will mostly be shot prone or from box stands or big ladder stands with rails. I don't have an opportunity to handle either stock, so I guess I'm just going based on looks. Which would you choose or what are your experiences if you have either?

muttdog
12-21-2012, 06:18 PM
i want to know this as well! ill be following this

jsthntn247
12-25-2012, 11:04 PM
TTP. Anybody?

rusty815
12-26-2012, 02:04 AM
For what you want, I think the vertical grip and stability of the PD/T stock might be better suited, the thumbhole of the Elk stalker would be great, but the features of the PD/T stock such as the high comb, flat bottom make it easier to manipulate and shoot from the prone position and possibly from a box stand as well.

jpdown
12-26-2012, 12:37 PM
+1 on the PD stock.

WaltherP99
12-30-2012, 01:11 AM
I have the P-Dog stock and it's GREAT! Elk Stalker is next on the list...

I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them!

Kevin's an awesome guy to deal with also...

pdog06
12-30-2012, 11:32 PM
The Pdog stock is a bigger(longer) and heavier stock, so take that into consideration if youre gonna be lugging it around any at all. I have one currently and i absolutely love it, but i dont carry it except from the truck to the bench. The feel of the stock is awesome, and i just find it very comfortable to shoot with. This model also has an awesome name.....LOL

The Elk stalker is more of a carry type of stock. I have had one of these as well and i really liked it. The only thing i did not like(and this would go for any thumbhole stock, not just this one) was that for carrying thru the woods i found it a pain to work the safety with the thumbhole grip. Its not really a big deal i guess unless you were in need of a quick, pull up shot.

Im sure you would love either one you pick because I did as well, so it is basically just a personal preference of what kind you like better.

jsthntn247
12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Any idea on how much more the Pdog weighs than the elk stalker? My barrel is a Rem Varmint contour and just wondering if it will be end heavy if going with the Elk Stalker.

J.Baker
01-01-2013, 02:05 AM
The weight difference really isn't that much between the two - they're both heavy. If you really want a stock for a carry around hunting rifle look to the Mule Deer or the Hunting Sporter. And as pdog noted, thumbhole stocks really suck when it comes to working the safety or the bolt in a hurry as you have to pull your thumb out of the stock first to do so.

jsthntn247
01-03-2013, 11:36 AM
My gun has the bolt release on the trigger guard. Does Savage make a factory DBM for this action?

Ogremccloud
01-14-2013, 10:50 PM
I really like the prairie dog tactical, have used them on a couple of builds. Kevin is a great guy to work with. He has Aton of knowledge. I have one siting there waiting for me to do something with now. Just need to find the time.

thomae
01-15-2013, 09:00 AM
My gun has the bolt release on the trigger guard. Does Savage make a factory DBM for this action?Yes. There are two types of bottom metal, differentiated only by the thickness of the tang through which the rear action screw goes through. That is because there are two thicknesses of triggerguard tangs that go over the this part of the bottom metal. If you get the "wrong bottom metal, you will either have to inlet your stock slightly deeper (easy with careful application of a dremel) or put a shim in so the triggerguard is flush with the stock (easy - a few thin stainless washers and you are good to go.)

missed
01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
I am wanting to put the prarie dog tactical on my gun and I have the factory drop box mag that I want to keep. I can't see spending the money for the after market bottom metal when mine does what I want it to do. My question on the stocks is there a pillar block in them or does that have to be added ?

missed
01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
I answered my own question on the block, I found it.

jsthntn247
01-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Kevin does not like to inlet for a hinged floorplate at all. For whatever reason.

ShowMeShooter
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Just my 2 cents, but it is hard to beat a thumbhole stock when shooting for the prone position.

missed
01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Well I called them today, They will do the drop box mag but only theres that uses AI mags. So I dont know what im going to do now, its $250 for the bottom metal then whatever for magazines. I may get rolling on the solidworks and draw up a full chassis with bottom metal and trigger guard built in. And the Mcmillian which will use my bottom metal is $800 and 5-6 months.

Handloader
01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
I have four elk Hunters (three 7mmWSM and one 300 Win Mag), love them all (and a manners stock). One of the elk Hunters had Kevins bottom metal and it works great (7mmWSM on a long action). That rifle has hit the 1760 yard steel many a time. I buy the money saver, fill it, sand it, and paint it ugly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CAPTBEACH
04-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Anyone know if he will inlet for CDI DBM? Considering buying a Mule Deer stock...

drybean
04-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Anyone know if he will inlet for CDI DBM? Considering buying a Mule Deer stock...

best bet to call, then be prepared to yak for a some time

drybean