PDA

View Full Version : Savage 116 .300 WM

Stick&String
12-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi guys,
I have a question for you guys and was hoping you guys would be able to help me....

I just acquired a Stainless model 116 in .300 WM. It does not have the accutrigger and only has 30 rounds down the tube. My problem is I am a DIY type of guy (im a heavy duty diesel mechanic) and would like to build my wife a rife for this upcoming season....

I would like it to be chambered in 7mm-08
Shorter then normal Barrel
Light as possible

My question is, would I be able to use the rifle I just picked up, and if so, what parts would I need to purchase? I already have the tools needed...

-Barrel (make, length, contour)
-Bolt Face
-Stock
-Rifle Basix Trigger

Thanks guys
Nick

drybean
12-17-2012, 11:46 PM
probley every thing but the bolt face from Northland shooters supply

drybean

thirty06
12-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Plus you'll need a 06 - 270 mag box and follower to make it a repeater.

jerkin
12-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Jim doesn't have any 7mm-08 barrels either, at least not in the 9.5 twist. I called him about one a few weeks ago. OP, before you spend all that money to rechamber your 300wm take a look at the new Lady Hunter. It has the 20" barrel instead of the normal 22", accutrigger, detachable magazine, only weighs 6lbs and has a special stock cut for the ladies. I looked at one for my wife and they are really nice. If you figure what you could sell your current rifle for and the price of the parts to swap calibers you could probably get into one of these cheaper and customize it however you want. Click on "specialty series" at this link to check them out. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Stick&String
12-18-2012, 10:55 PM
what brand parts do you guys recommend?
Short Barrel
Mag box and follower
Bolt Face

1983Weatherby
12-18-2012, 11:16 PM
OP, mind letting me know what you paid for your 116XP? There is a 7mm locally on clearance for $399, I dont know if thats good or not. Comes with accutrigger, but no hinged floorplate or magazine. Internal magazine design.

Stick&String
12-29-2012, 12:00 AM
OP, mind letting me know what you paid for your 116XP? There is a 7mm locally on clearance for $399, I dont know if thats good or not. Comes with accutrigger, but no hinged floorplate or magazine. Internal magazine design.

Sry for the late response.... I paid $300 for it from a friend. It has an internal box mag aswell. Looks brand new with 30 or so rounds through it.

stangfish
12-29-2012, 01:19 AM
don't waste your money on the rifle basix until you have screwed up the stock trigger trying to improve it. You said you were a DIY type of guy. Just keep the preload on the spring strong enough to keep the seer engaged at all times. Polish the trigger and hone the seer as aquare as you can leaving a little bit of "camber". Polish the sharp edge off.

Blue Avenger
12-29-2012, 09:02 AM
The hard surface on savage triggers is very thin. To much polishing and you are into soft metal that will not hold a smooth surface long.

acemisser
12-29-2012, 10:14 AM
don't waste your money on the rifle basix until you have screwed up the stock trigger trying to improve it. You said you were a DIY type of guy. Just keep the preload on the spring strong enough to keep the seer engaged at all times. Polish the trigger and hone the seer as aquare as you can leaving a little bit of "camber". Polish the sharp edge off.

trying to get more post in if possible...Rifle basic is a great trigger if do correctly.....

r3dn3ck
12-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I recommend picking your wife up a short action (Savage 10) and building that. The 300WM gun was the wrong gun to convert. You're making it unnecessarily heavy for no reason by using the 116 action. You can convert it but it seems a little beyond pointless and silly to do so.

stangfish
12-29-2012, 04:05 PM
trying to get more post in if possible...

I know:caked:

Never said it wasn't. But I have been complimented many times on the factory triggers I have reworked. Done some tuning to the bolts and recievers to make them function so smooth your heads would wobble as well.

acemisser
12-29-2012, 05:44 PM
I know:caked:

Never said it wasn't. But I have been complimented many times on the factory triggers I have reworked. Done some tuning to the bolts and recievers to make them function so smooth your heads would wobble as well.

If I had know that,I would have sent my out to you to work on.Too late now I got the rifle basic...Maybe next time I will be in contact with you..John