PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 accuracy issue PART 2

biggun
01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
"This week I decided to cut 4 in. off.So cut her down to 20 in. recrowned with a recessed crown like factory.Took her to the range today to re site.I shoot Sierra 55 gr. hp and 50 or 55 gr. spitzers.It has always shot each around half inch.Shot the hp's first with a four shot group under a half.Then with the spitzerz the first shot was right were it should be but when I shot the second time I could'nt see it.I shot 2 more times and still nothing.I have a pond in the back ground and noticed the bullets did'nt even hit the water.Shot again and the bullet hit the water probably 3 foot above the target.Thought for sure it whould have to be some screws loose or the scope was fried.Put the hp's back in it and 4 shots right above the dot less than a half inch.I have been around guns and have rolled my own loads for 25 yrs. but this has me confussed.Any thoughts. "

UPDATE:The 50 grain spitzers I was shooting was a Hornady SX.In hornadys loading book it says NOTE:The sx bullets are not to be shot in a 1:10 twist(I beleive that the savage is 1:12)because they are fragil and can come apart in flight,especialy at max velocities.If they can't handle .223 velocities what are these things made for.Any one with any experience with these bullets.

steveinwv
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Yours is likely a 1 in 9". And its not a .223 problem, its an rpm problem. A 22-250 with the standard 1 in 14" and 3700fps may not have the same problem as a 1 in 9" .223 and 3300fps.

edit....in fact if my math is correct the aforementioned .22-250 makes 190,285rpm at the muzzle and the .223 makes 264,000rpm. And that is why the bullet is either coming apart or shaking itself out of its perfect spiral, killing accuracy. Those are by no means match bullets. They shooting like crap in all of my fast twist .22s.

Quickshot
01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a box of 55gr. SX 22cal. .224 #2260. Tag inside box reads---" Honady bullets are for use in cartridges of velocities up to 3500 f.s. Accurate and deadly at 222 velocities they are NOT intended for cartridges of higher speed ." An oldtimer gave me this box 10 yrs. ago and I never used one of them. At the time he wrote on the box," Don't shoot over 3000fps". I these guys are on the right track with your problem. Quick

biggun
01-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys.I beleive if I was Hornady I would scrap those bullets.They should at least put a warning on the box,I could have spent that money on some good bullets. >:(