PDA

View Full Version : CCI 500 primer problems

Samdweezel05
12-13-2012, 04:34 PM
I have never used these primers until now. I am using them in my 9mm. The problem is light primer strikes. Ran 2 different kinds of factory ammo as well today and not a single problem. Put the misfired round back into the pistol and it would go off the second time around. Are these primers just too hard? Pistol is a Sigma SW9VE with a slightly modded trigger. In the last 3,000 rounds I have put through it I have never had a single FTF. I am going to load up a few with some federal 100's and see what happens.

brtelec
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
CCI has had a reputation for hard primer cups for years.

fgw_in_fla
12-13-2012, 06:38 PM
I use CCI primers exclusively. Mostly because I like Federal brass. After 2 - 3 firings, WLR primers fit too loosely. I can push some of them in with my thumb. CCI's are a wee bit harder & I believe just a skosh bigger in diameter.

I use them in my pistol ammo as well without incident. Perhaps it's time to have a look at that firing pin spring? Maybe a little bit of trash slowing it down like my Glock after 8,000 rounds without cleaning it?....

Samdweezel05
12-13-2012, 06:44 PM
I use CCI primers exclusively. Mostly because I like Federal brass. After 2 - 3 firings, WLR primers fit too loosely. I can push some of them in with my thumb. CCI's are a wee bit harder & I believe just a skosh bigger in diameter.

I use them in my pistol ammo as well without incident. Perhaps it's time to have a look at that firing pin spring? Maybe a little bit of trash slowing it down like my Glock after 8,000 rounds without cleaning it?....

I did notice the CCI's seated harder in my progressive press then any federal's I have ever used. Actually had a hard time getting them flush. Trigger on this Sigma was modded by removing a single spring that can lead to firing pin issues, ie. light strikes. Trigger was done 3,000 rounds ago and it has never been an issue. Granted, if I reinstalled the spring and brought the pistol back to factory specs I probably wouldn't be having this issue at all. I just loaded up 50 rounds with Fed primers and will try them in the morning. My dad's P95 is on it's way back to Ruger for some repair or I would have tried the CCI loaded rounds in his. I have had the firing pin out of the sigma with in the last 1,000 rounds and I did clean it but it wasn't necessary.