PDA

View Full Version : Stock Cutdown

bootarcher
12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I am thinking about cuting the stock forend on my Axis 223 to make it a bit shorter and also make the forend stiffer. Has anyone done this and if so can you guys help me out. Also I would like to cut some off of the but side of the stock it feels to long, can this be done and still be able to attack a recoil pad afterwards?

thermaler
12-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Cutting the forend down won't make it stiffer--reinforcing the bed will (look for Frank's excellent guide with pics here). I've cut the butt down on both my Axis rifles--but you will need to accommodate the "taller" buttpad since cutting it down reduces the OD of the stock. I just molded the epoxy to fit--a little hump results. Be sure to reinforce the inside of the stock if you are going to the trouble of cutting the stock down on the butt end.

I like the shorter pull length--but it does come with a cost, IMO. The Axis is a pretty lightweight rifle to begin with--so you can expect to get some muzzle lift in the bigger calibers (at least I do, anyway). shortening changes that fulcrum point, I suspect, so be aware that your scope with lesser eye relief is gonna be more likely to give you a third eye (don't ask me how I found this out).

aubie515
12-16-2012, 01:06 PM
I considered cutting the forearm down to save some weight. I ended up leaving the forearm alone since it would not benefit me.